Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me their experience with Perpetuem? I'm rethinking my nutrition since I've been bonking on my long runs even though I eat solids, shot bloks, etc. at regular intervals. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I used it as my primary source of nutrition at the VT100 last year and had very good luck with it. I was able to take in 20 bottles of it throughout the race with no stmach problems, and a pretty much even energy level all day (and night). Although I'm not ecstatic about the taste ( I've never found a product that I can truly say tastes great), it's not horrible. It tastes like soy milk. Where Heed makes me vomit on contact, Perpetuem is pretty decent. I'll continue with it until it stops working for me.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I've had good luck with it, though it tastes like dishwater.<br><br>
One problem though is that it's much lower in sodium that the other stuff I drink. When I switch back and forth I have to remember to adjust sodium but with "ultra head" that's problematic. I could probably just mix something into the powder in advance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you use it as a primary source of nutrition? Do you eat 'regular' ultra food in addition? Thanks for your responses.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I eat lots of regular ultra food so I may not be the best for an answer. I've had a couple of baggies along in a waist pack or drop bag to use in the later miles to try to crank my fuel intake up during those times when I start to eat less. My experience has been that I can get those calories down without forcing them when all other food has become a chore.<br><br>
But I've always been a fan of "real" food. So no, not a primary source.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Sustained Energy is my current preference, and Unflavored Heed. Half and half for runs longer than 2 hours. I just mix them into warm or iced tea and they taste awesome. Hammer makes good stuff but flavor is obviously not a priority. Unflavored Heed tastes strangely like stale beer.

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
after trying lots of energy drinks/ sports drinks and having tummy issues or severe thirst from them, i decided to just stick to water. I doubled up my S! caps and am mindful to get enough calories, and have been better off, imo. My tummy issues have decreased significantly since stopping sports drinks. This is just my opinion. Obviously, everyone is different.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I do a little "grazing" at the aid tables, and take chicken noodle soup when available, but most of my calories come from Perpetuem. I eat a little bit of solid food just to keep my digestive tract working though, in case I need to switch to mostly solids for some reason. For electrolytes, I use S! caps.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I have tried perpetuem for a few training runs of 20 plus miles, with good success, and in one trail race of marathon distance. I'm pretty slow, so a tough trail can keep me out there for a pretty long while compared to many. The perpetuem has worked, so far, to keep me feeling satisfied, without much need for other solid food. The taste is not bad for me, and I don't get too sick of it after using for several hours. I did have leg cramping issues in the one race, but it was warmer than expected and I probably just didn't add enough additional sodium. I'll continue to experiment with it, but so far so good.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Some people love it, others dislike it. The bottom line, If you can get it down it will work.<br><br>
The real question seems to be, if you are eating solid food and drinking on your long runs, and still bonking, what exactly are you eating, how many calories, and at what intervals. Sounds like what you think is enough, isn't.<br><br>
Are you starting your runs on an empty stomach? If so try some getting calories in before you start and then continue eat. Calories still on the table ar eof nno value.<br><br>
Are you running fast? The faster you run the slower your digestion works. You would have to be cranking for this to happen.<br><br>
In any case there is Ensure, Slimfast(my favorite but you need a crew unless you are doing laps), SUCCEED!CLIP, Cytomax, Hammer's Heed, just to name a few others

1 - 10 of 10 Posts