Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD and her boyfriend are planning on going to the Oregon coast after school lets out (May) for a long weekend. Are there any nice but reasonably priced places that you'd recommend?

·
Registered
22,241 Posts
I am not from Oregon but we always used to go to Gold Beach when I was a kid. I remember a Jet Boat trip p the Rogue river that was a ton of fun!

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Depends on what they consider nice. I'd have the best time renting a yurt at the state campgrounds.<br><br>
The Adobe in Yachats is a nice place in a central location north of Florence. Good beaches within walking distance and the hotel itself is on a seaside cliff. Also pet-friendly if they have a dog.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Are you going to be north, middle or south?<br><br>
If your on the coast, you could check out Astoria in the north. The Goonies and Kindergarten Cop were filmed there. Nice little town and a lot to see and do. Lot's of old Forts and Camps to see on both sides of the border (OR & WA)<br><br>
Seaside a little to the middle. Kind of "touristy" and maybe a little expensive during the season.<br><br>
I liked Lincoln City but anything south of that I couldn't tell you.<br><br>
Have fun

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know that they have a specific area in mind. They're just looking for a nice get away after college is done for the summer.<br><br>
Thanks for the ideas. Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
I live in So. Oregon and head out to the coast down here regularly. The weather will generally be a little nicer the further south you get, however, the coast is always quite windy. It's not really the nice warm lay the the beach kind of coast like California. As far as towns go, I prefer the central coast with towns like Newport and the smaller towns scattered fairly close by to the north and south of that - all within easy driving distance. Newport though will give you more of a choice for shops and restaurants than other areas, if that is something that is important to them.<br><br>
In Southern Oregon, I like Brookings area. And when it gets too windy for my likes at the ocean, then you can head up to the Chetco River which is only a 15 mile drive or so, and the temps will be considerably warmer, downright hot!, and the water is absolutely pristine.

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
The question about north middle and south is not a silly one, they are quite distinct.<br><br>
If they're partiers have them go up to Cannon Beach...

·
Registered
12,467 Posts
1<br><br>
Didn't strike me as a party place though. But I was there a long time ago. I'd like to bike the Oregon coast some time.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Seaside is overgrown, tacky. yuck.<br>
Cannon Beach is trendy and cool.<br>
Newport has no Hwy 101 eye appeal.<br>
Florence is too windy (except when it's not windy). If you pass by, see the Darlingtonia Wayside 4 miles north of florence on the highway. The fly-eating Pitcher plants are just awesome! (it only takes a minute to see them)<br><br>
Depoe Bay is teeny tiny -- right on the water really, so the sea lions swim right up to town and sometimes you can shop for doodads and watch for whales at the same time!<br><br>
Yachats is groovy & also teeny tiny. Nice beaches with good tidepooling nearby.<br><br>
Bandon, down South, has a great beach for running! Go to the main beach there (not where the boats dock) and run south. And run and run and run! What fun! Go to the cranberry candy store...oh. my. god.<br><br>
When I was a kid, I ran from Arch Cape to Cannon Beach. You have to time the tide right to do this. It's fun!<br><br>
Coos Bay (Prefontaine is from there) is a working-class town, but I think about 15 miles from there is a drop-dead gorgeous botanical garden called Shoreacres. Cape Arago there has WONDERFUL hiking, exploring, clamoring on rocky outlooks opportunities. It's not far from Bandon.<br><br>
Wherever you go, please be careful; always watch for waves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts