Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, I have been plagued with the Curse of the Stress Fracture. It's been at me all summer long.<br><br>
So, I'm coming back painfully slow this time... to the tune of I'm only running every other day, and I cut my distances way back, knowing I could run further, just to avoid re-injuring myself yet again. Also-- No speedwork. Before the injury, I was going about 55 miles a week (injured when I added speedwork without subtracting miles) Right now, I'm closer to 20-25 miles a week (plus bicycling and other exercise, of course).<br><br>
This of course, means my long-time goal of <a href="http://www.chattanoogatrackclub.org/races.cfm?contentID=eventDetail&recid=89" target="_blank">Chickamauga</a> (November 10) is basically out. I think I can still run it-- just like I ran it last year though-- as a training run, no taper or specific training besides a couple random 20+ runs or anything.<br><br>
I'm thinking of switching my goal to a race on February 02, 2008--- (My 23rd birthday), a flat course-- the <a href="http://www.runtybee.com" target="_blank">Tybee Island Memorial Health Marathon.</a> I could go down for the weekend with my sweetie and have a whole romantic weekend out of it.<br><br>
Will this give me enough time? Should I just toss my time goal until the 2008 Chickamauga Marathon? If so, should I still run both marathons?<br><br>
Opinions, please.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I would opine that you have enough time to prepare. Have a look at the Pfitzinger 55 mpw program and ask yourself if you are ready to tackle it. That should satisfy your curiosity.<br><br>
Interestingly, my daughter (17) had a bone strain (Grade 3 shin splints) in June after prepping and running a HM and then moving onto track season where she ran the 1500 and 3000 races in our provincial competition. The faster stuff was a little too much for her at that point, and she became a casualty just like you. After a summer of nothing but elliptical she began running about two weeks or so ago and can now do an hour on the roads without any soreness in her leg. She thinks she is ready to start XC training now. She has also modified her diet to include a multi vitamin and extra calcium.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Heather,<br><br>
I'm sorry you are going to miss out on your goal race. I think you are making the right call. My only question is: Are you really and truly fully recovered from your injury? If you've already posted this information, I'm sorry I didn't see it. I just don't want you to hurt yourself any further.<br><br>
If you are, doing Chickamauga as a sort of training run seems sensible. I've thought about doing something that, I'm just not sure I would give myself permission to DNF if that's what I needed to do. I've read about others that don't have that problem. As long as you calibrate your race expectations properly, all will be well. Examples: OK to DNF whenever; Plan to DNF at mile X; OK to DNF after mile X but OK to continue; Going to finish, but don't care about time; Going to finish, trying to hold M pace as long as possible; Goshdangit, I'm racing (this last is probably a bad choice here, but be comfortable with it if it is the one you make).<br><br>
Cheers,<br>
Billy

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
It really depends how well your shin splints heal. But based on your past posts about them, if it was me I would concentrate on cycling, spinning, water sports and other non contact events with a minimal amount of running - maybe 15 miles/week until the shin splints were completely healed. If you push too hard on any running regime the shin splints are going to take a longer time to heal than cutting way back on the mileage even if you have to sacrifice Chickamauga completely.<br><br>
Tybee has a 1/2 marathon which would give you a very good tryout on your legs to see if the shin splints are completely healed and you are ready to begin increasing mileage in your training schedule. And your sweetie and you can still make it a romantic weekend.

·
Registered
25,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My shins seem all better now. I was cleared to run. I'm only every other day now because I'm wanting to avoid reinjury, but I'm slowly working back up.<br><br>
Seems to be my speed that suffered more than anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts