Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

My toe hurts

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Buxtehude 
#1 ·
So as I've been running longer, I've noticed my feet are sore after the run. But the toe next to my big toe hurts. A lot. And it stays sore and tender for at least a day. Any ideas? It's only on one foot (left). It's tender on the top corner, if that makes sense.

#3 ·
i would go up a half size in your shoe. As you are running farther, your feet are going to have more time to swell and the shoes you wear may no longer be the right size.

#4 ·
Yes, definitely bigger shoes. I wear size 8 shoes and marathon train in 9 1/2. You should have a generous thumb width past your toes.<br><br>
Also -- start trimming your toenails a little shorter and giving them regular attention.

#5 ·
where is your foot sore?<br><br>
I'm complaining about that toe right now, but it's not the top, it's the joint. After I took off my shoes today, that toe was curled up real bad (almost like my shoes are too small). I also have PF real bad. Once I rolled my hips, hamstrings, and calves for just a few minutes that toe curled...so I think the PF has now extended to toe and I need to released the tightness in my legs to get relief in my feet. Is your foot pain in your arch?<br><br>
also, most people have one foot larger than the other, so I'd would try the suggestion of bigger shoes. I'm having the pain barefoot, open-toed sandals...so I'm positive it isn't my running shoes which I wear 1/2 size to one full size bigger than sandals.

#6 ·
Ugh, I hope it's not shoes. I just bought two pairs of the same shoes at Road Runners... Maybe if I take the pair I haven't worn back to the store they'll change it to an 11. I'm already wearing a 10.5 and my regular size is a 10.<br><br>
Thanks all. I'll see if I can do that and wear the bigger ones for the longer runs. Do you think it would work to still use the smaller ones for some of my shorter midweek runs?

#7 ·
they should take it back, no problem. Wear the 10.5's for short runs, cross training, etc. I wear 11's in my running shoes. My work shoes are 9.5 or 10.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.