Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's experiencing pain behind his knee, and kind of a "popping" sensation back there with every step, whether walking or running. He just went to our family doctor today, who referred him to a PT, whom he won't be able to see until a week from Monday.<br><br>
He's in the middle of track season, and wondering whether he should go ahead and run during spring break, since he has a track meet the week after he returns.<br><br>
Anyone here ever experience that type of thing?

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'm hoping that with a day or two off, and some good warmups and stretching, he'll feel better soon.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
sounds like they will look at his meniscus looked at, people talk about "popping" noise with that. However, a popping noise does not indicate a torn meniscus, nor does the absence of the popping noise negate a tear. So I guess, if the popping sound is the only indication that you son is having, a doctor visit can only verify that there is nothing wrong with the joint. But you say there is pain, so I'd want a tear ruled out.<br><br>
I'm just wondering why a family practioner would refer him to PT? What is the diagnosis? Did the doctor rule out menisus and say it was tendonitis, chondomalacia, bursitis, Osgood-Schlatter, Baker's cyst,...............??? I guess if there is pain involved and my regular doctor couldn't diagnosis, I'd want a referall to an orthopaedic doctor, or sport medicine, rehab. Unless, the popping and the pain are totally unrelated. Such as, your son always had a popping sound, and now he just developed and overuse injury and needs PT for that???<br><br>
I had a friend that her ankle clicked the entire time she ran, it was just a normal thing for her.

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wondered the same thing, regarding sending him to a PT. DS didn't get to see our normal family doctor, it was one of his associates, so I'm going to send him back to our doctor for a visit as soon as we're back from vacation. Our regular doc is a marathoner, and knows a lot about running-related injuries.

·
Registered
25,018 Posts
I got that during cross-country years back. Ran on it for a while, and finally admitted it to my couch... mandated several days complete rest and it went away completely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts