Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty eventful ride for me... thought it deserves a RR (ride report).<br>
First of all, the most important thing... at 41mi, it's the longest of the year.. no, wait! it's my longest ever!!!!<br>
It was colder than on any previous ride... 40 degrees but the wind chill must've been below 32. As we were going along the shore, in one direction the headwind was about 20-30mph, with stronger gusts. Actually, I did a loop by myself before the group ride, and coming against the wind, I felt like I can't keep the bike moving anymore... largest ring in the back, so no more gears, going at 10mph.. On a steep hill, you know it will eventually end soon, but there I knew I still have 5-6 miles like that.<br>
With the group, it was easier. It split in two, I was in the slower group of 3, which was fine until those 2 guys said it's too hard and bailed out. So I was again alone in the wind until the turn around point where I caught up with the other 4 riders. On the way back, it was sweet, easily spinning at 26-28mph.<br>
But... I had a flat, first time on the road. The group stopped, made a circle around me, and I was ready to embarass myself, however everything went smoothly! But due to this break, it got late and dark, and we were riding in almost total darkness for the last mile, getting lost a few times.<br>
So this was my longest ride ever, and what's surprising is that I wasn't exhausted! Last time when I did 40 miles, I was dying at the end, but this time I could've probably gone farther, if it wasn't so cold and windy.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
I'm glad the group waited for you.<br>
If you're gonna be out after dark, at least be out in a group, so you can have friends when you get lost.<br>
It's more fun that way!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Great job, Chris!! Way to bump up the bike miles! I totally would have embarrassed myself if I had to change a flat. I've done it in my garage, but it just isn't the same on the road! I also would have bailed after about 5 mins. riding in that cold!! Burrrr!

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had also changed tires only in front of the garage, first time by holding the Zinn book under the laptop which was on the ParkTool website. That's why I was glad it went well. I have a blinker light that I never took with me... might be useful in the dark, if I remember to take it.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I always take my blinker lights with me when I train. You never know ...<br><br>
As well, I'm happy that your ride mates waited for you, and it seems that their circle formation might have actually protected you from traffic and the wind.<br><br>
Congrats on the great ride and your tenacity!<br><br>
Sally

1 - 8 of 8 Posts