Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody been to this before or is planning on going this year? It looks interesting and they are having some 1 hour T1 clinics in the MIT pool.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
I went a few years ago. Back then it was held at a different location. I did not participate in the swim clinics nor the bike workouts. I just went to the expo to scope some gear and attend a few talks. It was informative. But even though I was new to the sport at the time, it was merely reinforcing the principles I had already picked up elsewhere. But in my newness to the sport, I was glad I went for this one seminar in particular, because it was focused on first-time Ironman, which I was at the time in my quest for Ironman Wisconsin.<br><br>
Looking back and now having attended other type of clinics, if you are NOT going to do the bike or swim sessions, before you jump to go, take a look at the list of speakers, because depending on the time you go there might not be anything of interest. And since the expo is really just a few vendors hawking their wares, it isn't always all that much. But it is motivating to be around like-minded individuals...<br><br>
I personally have come to the point that I only attend if there is a particular speaker I want to hear or if there is a good topic I'd like to get in on to ask questions, because most other stuff I have picked up pieces on, don't care much about, would never use, or a host of other reasons. As an example, many of these will have speakers talking on a variety of topics: HR training methodologies (cool, interesting, but I have been there done that and still don't train this way), foot care (whatever), stretching techniques (whatever), Ironman Training (always cool in my book), power based Training (cool), etc. My Tri-club recently put on a clinic. I happened to be busy that day, so I only had a sliver of time to stop in. For me I wanted to see my buddies, swap a few war stories, and listen to two of the speakers. One was Jarrod Shoemaker. The other was Dave MacGillivray. I hung around for Jarrod (very cool talk, by the way) but as soon as I found out Dave was slated at the end of the clinic, I was out of there. I had to be, but I would have been anyway. Because the other stuff was totally slanted for newbies or injuries.<br><br>
If you're interested, go... just set your expectations accordingly if you are not doing any of the swim or bike sessions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts