Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These pancakes KICK ASS!! I healthy-ed up a recipe from Epicurious which had far too much butter & brown sugar, 4 eggs and white flour. The recipe makes a good amount, so they'd be perfect for Christmas morning breakfast or company...and they smell wonderful cooking! If you like gingerbread, you will love these.<br><br>
Gingerbread Pancakes<br><br>
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour<br>
1/2 cup buckwheat flour<br>
1 cup whole oats (not the quick flakes)<br>
1 tbsp baking powder<br>
1 1/2 tsp baking soda<br>
1/2 cup Splenda brown sugar blend, packed (or 1 cup regular brown sugar)<br>
1 tsp salt<br>
1 tsp ground cinnamon<br>
1 tsp ground ginger<br>
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg<br>
1/8 tsp ground cloves<br>
3/4 cup milk<br>
1/2 cup brewed coffee, at room temperature<br>
1 cup egg beaters (equivalent of 4 lg eggs)<br>
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (substitute for the butter)<br>
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice<br><br>
Grind oats in blender or food processor until fine. Whisk together flours, brown sugar, ground oats, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt in large bowl. Combine milk, coffee, egg beaters, applesauce and lemon juice in another bowl. Add flour mixture and whisk until just combined. If batter is too thick, add a little more milk. Let stand 10 minutes.<br><br>
Brush griddle with oil or nonstick spray and heat until hot but not smoking. Pour 1/4 cup per pancake onto griddle and cook until bubbles appear on the surface, 1-2 minutes. Flip and cook another 1-2 minutes until underside is lightly browned. Brush griddle with oil or re-spray between batches.<br><br><br><br>
As you may have guessed, I am a total pancake addict and I've gotten pretty good at adapting pancake recipes to cut the fat, use multigrain flours and add in all sorts of things. I make a big batch almost every Sunday and freeze the extras to toast during the week. Separate with wax paper and place in freezer bag. Nuke for 20 seconds to unfreeze, then pop in the toaster for a quickie weekday breakfast.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts