Kick Runners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, TEAM LIT, and welcome to Monday!

Reg: Congrats to DD. You at least have a fall back. A decent fall back at that!

Yoshi: Nice weekend for you, and so, so, so cool you got to hang with CCRoz! I miss her around here. I see her on FB, but it's just not the same.

Sparty! Did you really need to go ahead and take a Statistics exam to know you were already an A in our book?! Good on you.

SB: Love those Christmas Lights runs and rides. Makes it more fun with a cool theme.

Weekend Recap...

Saturday: 5 mile walk/plod (mostly walk; in fact, just about all walk) at my favorite set of trails. Got to see my buds as they did a loop in the reverse direction. It was a shot of energy for me.

Sunday: Yulefest 5K, 23:24 (7:32 pace), the illness finally gave something back to me. And I learned something I suspected all along. And I'm going to take advantage of it. Which is...

So one thing I have noticed is that whenever my daily life had me do a run (or indoor bicycle at the gym) at a time other than the butt crack of dawn, my legs seem much, much better than they do in the early morning, and I knew all along that this illness causes my body to stay in sleep mode, almost shutdown, for the first 3 to 5 hours of the morning. So when I wake up and go each and every morning, I have no go, and when I try to go, my body shuts itself down. My legs are very heavy, and nothing feels right. It's so bad that I cannot even get my HR up, nor can I get to heavy breathing to tax the lungs. But when I have pushed my run to 10 am, give or take, I can actually run even though my legs exhibit the same heaviness and discomfort. I noticed this when I go to the gym at noon. I have been experimenting with the bike, and I can spin pretty hard, actually peaking my HR and taxing my lungs, something I cannot do in the early morning. I don't do it often because I'm not yet ready to switch to or bring in cycling, but it is something I noticed. Then for my turkey trot I noticed it again. The race didn't start until 8:30 am, and after a really rough mile with heavy legs and not being able to run enough to even tax myself, as my body tried to shut itself down, I noticed it wasn't as bad and I was able to force through it. By mile 1 or a little after, or really roughly 10 minutes, I was able to run AND open my stride, not like I used to, but at least a little bit and enough to actually run.

And so on Sunday, at Yulefest, which I think is my favorite race of the year, I lined up in the middle of the pack of 3500 hoping to run most if not all but expecting to walk. Gun goes off and I start running. Although my legs were very heavy, it wasn't that hard to run. After a few minutes, I started moving up a bit and came upon a friend. We chatted. This was good because it kept me slow. By the time I was 10 minutes in, it was as if the training wheels came off. I could, if I wanted to, open my stride. I knew then and there that this was because it was now roughly 9:45 am, and my body was awake and ready, the illness sliding back, as it always does. This was confirmation. I stayed at this easier pace and continued to talk with my friend until about 15 minutes in when I felt a noticeable shift in my body. Running was still hard, but it was far easier than it had been, even better than it was from minute 10 to 15. I knew I'd pay for this the next day (and I am), so I kept it steady enough though I easily could have run faster. I was able to talk so freely because, again, its my body that shuts itself down, not my lungs or heart, so I am not tapped out but usually just cannot go any faster. But now the illness was allowing me to go even though my legs felt heavy with congestion (and bloated and tight even though they are neither, they just feel that way). I even was able to power up the hills. Finally, with maybe .5 miles remaining, I allowed myself to see how much I could push. It was as if the heaven's opened up and there was a guiding light leading me to the finish. It felt awesome. I was running fast, freer than I have at any time in the past 4 months, and floating on air with an open stride. I am paying for it now, but it was worth it!

I will explore this newly confirmed suspicions of being able to perform at mid-morning and on. If nothing else, it'll at least give doctors more information in triaging what the **** is wrong with me. And if it is real, if it means I can actually run and get back to that feeling I know and love and miss dearly, then it'll be a win.

Monday: 2.5 mile walk/barely plod. Paid for yesterday. Boo.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Thor - as my PT/coach is fond of telling me...it is all about "keeping your eyes open"...good to know that while not 100%, your workouts later in the day, even if they are only a few hours later, are better.

Same for me...early morning runs are not good for my back....legs are stiff, hips don't want to work...and then I tend to feel pretty beat up after. SO...runs get pushed back later in the day.

Friday was tough...good to see the celebration of life, but our friend Don is devastated, even tho he knew it was coming. you could just tell.

Friday - DOR
Saturday - 40 min on the trainer
Sunday - 3 mile run FIB 1/2 mile walk with the pup
Today - PT and weights/abs...

Night!

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
I just had to chime in, to get daily a little more active. Thor - good discovery! Happy to hear you could run better!

Planned DOR due to biz trip (yeah 10 hrs drive with 2-hr meeting). 18- week Boston training has begun! I have 5 weeks of running 6x per week at least 6 miles per run, as a base. Biggest ever and I feel good about it. Looking ahead, I'm not too confident to stick with the plan due to many trips on my schedule (work, DD auditions/interviews), but hey it wil be what will be. Bring it on!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts