Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow KickRunners!

I am dropping in to see how everybody is doing. I see most of you on FB, so I have a decent idea, but I figured a more personal contact would be more fun. It was Reg/Geo who reached out to me a week ago. That inspired me to want to check in.

I have been doing good. Kids have kept me busy. My boy (8, going to be 9 in Oct.) is a sports nut. He's a good athlete who is already playing club soccer (in addition to town). I've been coaching him and a group of kids since they started team play. It's been so much fun watching these kids grow and being a part of showing them the game. My son also plays baseball and basketball and a few other sports. My daughter (7) plays soccer, and I coach her team as well -- this in addition to running the league!!! But her big thing is dance! I think she'll have a shelf life with soccer. And that's okay.

As for me, you all know my battles with Lyme. I was really bad for a number of years, then went through an aggressive treatment and got better, and then a year and three months later slide back into the throes of Lyme with a regression. That's where I am now. My symptoms are not nearly as bad as they had been when I fell in the hole, but unfortunately my biggest symptom is that I am not able to run. That said, I can do other things, and I have been cycling quite a bit this summer and got myself back to being on the fast side. I'm not bombing around routes like I used to when I would average 24 to 27 miles per hour, but I'm doing pretty well on only a few months of regular riding, averaging anywhere from 19 to 21 miles per hour. I like going fast and love the feeling of flying through the air, so I'll always have it in me to try to hammer it out. Took two months but I'm finally feeling as if I'm doing just that.

On top of that, I also started playing pickup soccer in a family friendly setting. Best of all is that I get to play ball with my 8 year old son. That is the highlight of my week, playing ball with my boy. He is the youngest to show up, but the others take it easy on him. Although I cannot run for distance, I can do pickup soccer for a lot of reasons, the biggest being that we play at 6 pm at night. I struggle most with my body in the mornings. Part of Lyme. And old age!

On the work front, a few years ago I was asked to consider a new position in my company. I said yes. It was a complete 180 career change. This new role has stretched me beyond reason, and it comes with high pressure and stress. It's been good for me, but it is wearing on me and gives me very little free time to do anything but work, tend to the family, and pursue my passions. There's no free time anymore. It wears on me, but I am buoyed by the fact that I plan to retire as early as I can, so at least I'm counting down the years rather than being so far away that it's out of sight.

I hope everybody is well. From what I see on FB, it appears all is good. I miss everybody but just do not have time to get here regularly and, well, I'm not training for anything. I hope to hear from each of you on how you are doing. I'll look back here a few times over the course of this week. I'll also try to drop in every few months. Sorry I've been out of touch.

Me...

21 mile ride in 1:03 time (19.8 mph average). Rode to nearby lake, did two loops around following the street, then home.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Thor!! good to see you here. I think I post on FB but don't read that often and this group is more of a support a healthy life style group than a Trian/race group these days although Zo and Yo do a good job of keeping up the races.

And today all I managed was my 1 hr training session for imbalance and strength, and 1 hour of stacking wood. Probably have 10-15 more hours of that to go!

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
THOR!!!!! What a great surprise! When I saw your avatar pic I thought, woops I must have hitting an old link/post, and I was dead wrong! Great to hear what you are up to, yeah I was wondering how you were doing with Lyme… but you are always looking forward, not backwards, that I knew. No surprise your big boy is into every sports. So happy to hear Maddie is doing well as well after some scare a few years ago. I have to resend a friend request on FB (can’t remember if I did after being hacked). And your cycling!! Keep up the good work, my friend. Kids will grow up so quickly.

Geo - sounds like DD is doing well with her training. Exciting! And feel better soon!

1:40 ride with two GIRLBIKERS. I couldn’t commit to the 30+miles they planned (#2 out of 5 level headache) so I joined them on their route to my way. Nice to ride with them while catching up; felt like may weeks since we saw each other.

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thor!! good to see you here. I think I post on FB but don't read that often and this group is more of a support a healthy life style group than a Trian/race group these days although Zo and Yo do a good job of keeping up the races.

And today all I managed was my 1 hr training session for imbalance and strength, and 1 hour of stacking wood. Probably have 10-15 more hours of that to go!
I've been following you on FB. Great to see you still adventuring through the water!

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THOR!!!!! What a great surprise! When I saw your avatar pic I thought, woops I must have hitting an old link/post, and I was dead wrong! Great to hear what you are up to, yeah I was wondering how you were doing with Lyme… but you are always looking forward, not backwards, that I knew. No surprise your big boy is into every sports. So happy to hear Maddie is doing well as well after some scare a few years ago. I have to resend a friend request on FB (can’t remember if I did after being hacked). And your cycling!! Keep up the good work, my friend. Kids will grow up so quickly.
So great to connect again other than on FB. This is much more personal, maybe because you were hacked and not showing up in my feed lately!!!

Maddie is indeed doing better than she was a few summers ago, though she is forever a changed girl, now with high anxiety and fears. She's just not able to cope with certain things. It is hard. She has help. But the PANS changed her. She is no longer always a carefree happy girl. Now she's a carefree happy girl... until a fear kicks in, and then she's a different girl. As she gets older, she's becoming more aware of these behaviors but isn't yet mature enough to make change. She's singing right now in the other room. My special girl!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts