Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

MMT pacer report

753 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Alex 
#1 ·
This past weekend was the second year I crewed and ran with Dave P. at the Massanutten Trail 100 Mile, hosted by the Virginia Happy Trail Running Club.<br><br>
In no particular order, here's a little bit of my long weekend in the Shenandoah Valley:<br><br>
- Drove on Thursday night with Dave, who was running MMT #2. Last year he finished in 29:03. Last year's pacer report displays an elevation chart of the MMT, along with my experience from last year.<br><br>
- An all day Friday rain dampered my adventurous spirit. I was ready to run and rack up a ton of miles over the long vacation weekend. While Dave was packing gear and drop bags, I spent the rainy day in quaint historic district of Front Royal, VA. Purchased a trail guide from the town visitor's center, a haircut, and later read up on the Shenandoah NP and the AT. Probably better for me as I needed some rest from a long work week.<br><br>
- While I have yet to run 100, I feel somewhat guilty when I run as pacer. While I know its entirely within the rules to be a pacer, and that a pacer can be of great value to a competive ultrarunner, I feel like I'm poaching on all the good fun. I get to run into the night, provide camraderie, and eventually witness an amazing feat when my fellow runner crosses the finish line. This was my fifth pacer experience going 35+ miles: Second MMT to go along with three Mohicans. Pacers at MMT can start from any aid station after 6pm (13 hours into race.)<br><br>
Click blog link for the rest of the report...

See less See more
#2 ·
good job and great report! he really improved his times!!!!

#3 ·
Great pacing report! I like the details about the sounds and sights as well as the race reporting.<br><br>
Question -- why does pace slow so much at night? I saw this at Umstead, too. The obvious answer is how darkness affects visibility, but is it something beside that? Since our bodies want to sleep at night, is it a way to "rest" while running, too?

#4 ·
SGH- i think it is a combination of things. One is just it is night time, but the other is, by then, you are really far into the race and just tired!!!! On a technical trail like MMT, you also have to be very careful at night to not get hurt or fall, etc.

#6 ·
Outstanding roots and fantastic report!!!<br><br>
You are so ready for 100!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.