Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Mississippi 50k/50mile and 20k race (aka Carl Touchstone) is scheduled for March 1, 2008 in Laurel, MS. This is a very easy course for first time trail runners, unless it rains. It's held in the DeSoto National Forest just outside Laurel, Mississippi. The fee includes the pre-race meal.<br><br>
Only 200 runners are allowed into the race due to U.S. Park rules and all runners must be finished in 12 hours. The race goes from 6:00am to 6:00pm. You are permitted to switch races during the race itself. So, if you register for the 50mile and decide you bit off more than you can run, you may switch to the 50k or even 20k by simply stopping at the officials table as you complete a segment - each 20k you will pass by the scorer's table. Conversely if you sign up for the 20k and feel really good when you finish you can continue on and do the 50k or 50 mile race. The only catch is that if you change races you are no longer eligible for any race placement awards.<br><br>
Support is roughly every 4 miles. I ran this race last year and enjoyed it although I was furious that I slowed down so much on my second loop, but I still came in 20 out of 60 and I'm a turtle runner.<br><br>
So if you are interested in this race visit their website at <a href="http://www.ms50.com" target="_blank">www.ms50.com</a>. Generally the race doesn't fill up until January but I wouldn't wait too long if you really want to run it.<br><br>
I'm still debating it because I will be running the Breast Cancer Marathon in Jacksonville the second Saturday in February. On the other hand I would like to beat my 50k time last year.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I may do this. I need to do something in MS. This is Carl Touchstone, right?<br><br>
I'll see you at the Breast Cancer Marathon. It is my goal race.

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
you should come to Umstead instead.

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
<br>
Hey Guys,<br>
I am planning on running the Breast Cancer Marathon also. It is local so I guess I should support it.<br><br>
I am still trying to figure out when I am going to try a 50 miler or a 100K race but I figure one of these years I will get the necessary training in.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I'll be at the Breast Cancer Marathon, too. One of my running buddies is raising funds for it b/c she's had a lot of breast cancer in her family.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts