Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm already thinking about my return to Chickamauga in (November) 2007.<br><br>
I ran it in 5:10. I am pretty positive I could have broken 5 with the same fitness/degree of taper if I knew at the beginning of the race what I knew by the end of the race!<br>
I didn't do much of a taper for it-- would have been hard since I decided to run it on a whim 2 weeks before the race. Ran 22.5 a week and a half out, and then settled on the running... oh and an ill-advised 50 mile bike ride a few days before because me and tapers don't get along.<br><br>
I am wondering how I should set a tentative goal for this race as I plan out my goals over the next 6 months.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Choose one of the many plans available to train by - Higdon, Pfitzinger, Galloway, Boston Marathon plan and then stick with it. Choose a realistic goal. If you go to <a href="http://www.mcmillanrunning.com" target="_blank">www.mcmillanrunning.com</a> there is a calculator in which you can input your most recent races and it will give you an estimate of what you can complete the marathon in if you are properly trained.<br><br>
The website also gives you suggested time for your easy, interval and long runs. The biggest mistake a lot of runners make is setting a goal that is too ambitious. It's easy when you are this far out from a marathon to think "Oh, I'll do all the training and run this one in whatever time goal you have in mind". But you have to be careful not to overextend yourself as well as being able to set up a realistic schedule based on your lifestyle.

·
Registered
25,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yuck, training plans.<br><br>
For some reason, every time I've tried to use a training plan, I end up running less and getting worse times.<br>
Mental block I think. It takes away fun.<br>
Though I have found good elements in training plans that seem to help when I implement them on a regular basis as I feel like it.<br><br>
I'm going to have lots of time to train from May through July... but starting in August there will be less again-- still will have enough time for 40+ mile weeks as I need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts