Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you deal with it? I try and back off my pace but I hate seeing the guys I run with head off into the distance as I waddle along. Plus I seem to only be able to run (8 - 9:30 pace) or walk (12 - 14 minute) pace. I can not find a middle pace that i can slow down to hold to just keep myself moving.<br><br>
IT really makes me wonder how I am going to train in the Florida heat for the Tahoe Triple next September. I will be looking at doing long runs in late AUGUST. Talking about melting weather. Granted it won't be as bad as what the run in the badwater ultra but geez. How do you do it?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Backing off the pace is critical for training. You've got to acclimate to training in the heat. It's a huge stress on your system, especially when you're just not used to it (think Chicago marathon). But if you slowly build up to it, you'll see results. Do whatever you can to minimize the stress to your system. Hydrate, electrolytes, ice if you need it.<br><br>
Two years ago, the heat was my worst enemy, largely cos I did the bulk of my weekly miles during the evening. This past year, I started running during the weekday. As the weather got hotter, I learned to deal with it. . .and even started liking it (in a very sado-masochistic sort of way). My last two 50 mile races were in 100 degree heat with extremely high humidity. I couldn't have finished without training in the same conditions.

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Durt,<br>
I live in the heat about 8 months out of the year. so as the heat builds I get my body used to it. I force myself to run during the daytime just so I can get used to it quicker. I just hate the way I can not seem to overcome it as well as my running buddies. I might have to look into doing a lot of doubles over the summer to get the miles in without killing myself with the heat.

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
i wonder if you have a mental block concerning the heat and heat training.

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
I do think some people's bodies tolerate heat better than others. Everyone can acclimate to a point, but I think different people have different points.

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MG,<br>
I am starting to wonder the same thing also. ALl I know is that when the temps get above 80 and the humidity gets up near 50% then I know I am screwed for any kind of pace. Maybe it is because I have never been good about taking more frequent breaks/rest stops in the heat due to the courses we run. We have limited access to water. Sooo, I am really thinking that next summer in the heat I might ahve to look at some kind of gallow training just so I can get the miles in, or god forbid, move inside to a DREADMILL!<br><br>
You put me outside in December I can really start cranking! Give me the cold baby. Granted I am not sure if I can handle Canada cold yet but I have run in NJ in the snow in tights, shorts, hat gloves and a long sleeve shirt and short sleeve shirt.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
FB- Mortimer and I live in FL as well and for whatever it's worth, we felt the same way. We could not seem to get faster. We got the miles in but just didn't get as fast as we had hoped. When we got to our race, though, with cool weather we did sooooo much better. I think training in the heat helped us. We make sure we run past our house several times so we can changes shoes and socks and get cold water from the fridge. And we take walk breaks if we are dying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts