Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to <a href="http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showpost.php?p=670836&postcount=32" target="_blank">corrade</a> for posting the <a href="http://www.ehow.com/how_2156216_use-tact.html" target="_blank">link</a>. Interesting article. I certainly could benefit from practicing some of the suggestions offered. The interesting thing is that in my daily interactions being tactful is not usually an issue. For ome reason on message boards like the CH and the PRT it comes up more often. I am not sure why that is. Part of me thinks is that on a forum such as this I am put in a situation where I interact with people who I would probably not interact with in real life situations. That's not an excuse just an observation and an untested hypothesis.<br><br>
I am interested in what other people have to say about being tactful. Do you find it difficult to practice empathy? Is there a difference between how well you practice tact in real life versus the interwebs?

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Empathy is a pretty easy one for me. I think I am far more tactful in real life than I am here. I come here to vent so I can be more polite and tactful in real life.<br><br>
Does that make any sense?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
If anyone wants to improve their ability to be tactful I suggest a visitation or two with JC would be of great benefit. He is the most tactful (but honest) person I have ever met.

·
Premium Member
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That makes sense.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I suppose it makes sense to put cultivating empathy and developing sensitivity before using common courtesy, but when I've seen less than tactful interactions, it appears to be mostly a lack of common courtesy.<br><br>
On message boards, I think there is a tendency to interpret the tone of the written word incorrectly and then a lot of knee-jerking seems to follow.

·
Premium Member
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's been my experience as well. I've been on both ends of that sword.

·
Registered
22,241 Posts
I think a lot of assumptions are made about people that one doesnt really know that well in a message board type forum. In some ways its expected because all the nonverbal communication that one normally gets in real life just isnt there...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts