Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>OK its 530 on the west coast just got up and there is actually a great video video on ironman .com!!</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Lets go Adam!!!! Btw i  just got in trouble for ringing my cowbell apparently not everyone is ready to cheer Adam onto victory!!!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Do we know his race number?</p>

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
<p>Great swim, Adam!!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Rubber side down, buddy!</p>

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
<p>WTG Adam!  What does the first leg of the bike look like?  I''m seeing some pretty speedy splits so I''m assuming it doesn''t have a ton of uphill.  A friend of mine had an avg speed of 24.49.  She is a monster on the bike!</p>

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
<p>the first leg of the bike includes that massively long downhill (9K worth).  me, super weenie, hit nearly 40 on that last year on open roads, sitting up to catch wind, and braking the whole way.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>send calm and steady vibes to Adam, please,</p>

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
<p>If anybody happens to catch video of the athlete wearing a brown cotton t-shirt with Faith Hill and Tim McGraw on it as well as nearly knee-length cargo shorts, Brooks running shoes and regular eye-glasses and riding a bike with flat pedals and no toe cages, please post his number!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I hope he does okay and I truly want to know how he does.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Saw a couple of folks on bikes with no clips or toe cages, actually.</p>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<p>Go Adam...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And for those asking about the bike course:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Break the two loop course into three segments, so in reality six in all. Each loop consists of the following:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Segment one is rolling (but hilly rolling, as there is no hill short enough to power over) with a massive 5K descent that ensures this split is FAST. The year I did IMLP, it was pouring rain the entire day, and that section was so stoopid dangerous that everybody went down it on their brakes the entire way. The fastest speed I hit all day was 29.5 mph. Really. Too dangerous the course was with all of those hitting their brakes. This segment is roughly 10 miles.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Segment two is flat to rolling and can be fast, but if the wind is coming up this one river, as opposed to from the side or behind, it can be average to slow. But pace here should be slower than segment one. About 25 miles.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Segment three is a long gradual up hill where in reality you are climbing a mild mountain, if you will. The grade is easy, but it is a grind after a few miles like that, and especially on the second loop. This is the segement, more on the second loop, where you will find out how your pacing was -- and any failure in hydration or nutrition or training will nip you in the ass. You will know on that section whether or not you will be able to run. Because it can be difficult if pacing was right. We'll learn a lot about Adam's race on this stretch. This section is a slow pace killer. Hopefully Adam knows to ride by feel, not be looking a average speed.</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
<p>Well, 14 mph average on the second segment is much more in line with where he should be.  There's a 12 mph constant headwind there today with gusts up to 25 mph, so it's going to be a long day on that second loop.  Let's hope his pacing was right and he's nailing his nutrition.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We're heading back out to our volunteer shift shortly, I need to wake Cake up from her nap and get supplies together.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I can't post from my blackberry anymore, but if I have any good updates I'll text them to Scooby to post for me.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Keep sending good vibes Adam's way, please!!</p>

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
<p>GO ADAM GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</p>

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.