Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Is anyone racing ?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm not but a friend from the states is, if I was thinking of doing one this could be on my list.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Just wondered what peoples views were on it?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>regards</p>
<p> </p>
<p>G</p>

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
<p>Our own AdCo is racing on Sunday</p>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<p>I competed at Ironman Lake Placid in 2008. But I have only done two other Ironman events (IMWI '06 & IMCdA '07), so I don't know that I can compare more than those and perhaps some of the other North American events. Since I had extremely successful races at all three, I do feel as if I can shed light on those.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>First let me be clear. Ironman, as a race, is tough. An Ironman over any course will be hard. They all will pull out of you a level of desperation unlike most other races. IMFL, a fast and flat course, is difficult in different ways than IMLP. Easier? Probably. But still extremely difficult.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Lake Placid is among the tougher courses, or so most say. And I agree with that -- sort of. IMLP is more a *slow* course than it is tougher than, say, IMWI. The hills are long and gradual pace killing climbs.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>IMCdA is similar to IMLP, but I think it is a much faster course. What makes IMLP tougher is more the run course than the bike. Both have hills, but the run course makes it very slow, which gets compounded when you're already fatigued from having swam and biked a long way.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>IMWI and IMCdA run courses are honest -- they can be fast, but they would never be considered slow. Not so with IMLP.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Lake Placid is a beautiful part of the country, and you get to see a lot of it on the bike and run. But the same is true with CdA and WI. I like the race set up in all three. CdA and LP are more similar, whereas WI is more a city centered race with, I should add, great brewpubs throughout the city.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In my estimation, if you raced a smart race on the same fitness, you would be fastest at IMCdA, then IMWI, then IMLP.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you want to go for time, as in pick a course for a fast time, go with IMFL or IMAZ. Weather can play apart in those, but what I've found is that a flat course is ALWAYS faster -- and usually MUCH faster -- than hilly at the Ironman level.</p>

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<p>Thor - great post thanks</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sounds like my friend has chosen a tough but very enjoyable event.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I like hard courses I must admit. I think if I am going to do one of these then I'd like to do it away from Europe.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>A big concern for me is the possibility of the swim being non wetsuit.</p>

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
<p>from my understanding Cda is always a very cold swim</p>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<p>RonBo is right. The swim at CdA can be, and usually is, very cold.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The swim at IMLP is probably the best of all Ironman events. The lake is small, so less likely to be effected by wind and weather, and the water is pristine. There is also a cable line that runs underneath water to help with sighting. I didn't have the fortune of grabbing a line, as it was too crowded at my 1:12 finish time pace. But I'm told that if you are much faster (like 1:05 and faster) or much slower (such as 1:30 or longer) you can grab the line.</p>

·
Premium Member
15,134 Posts
<p>IMLP was my favorite swim! Clear and BEAUTIFUL! I did it the same year Thor did.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Interesting...for me I'd pick endless gradual grinding hills over the up and downs of Wisconsin.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I did both IMAZ and IMFL. I did IMAZ the first time it was in November. Swim was cold...water not clear. Bike ride suited me really well and got a massive PR. It was 10+ degrees warmer that day than predicted. The run killed me!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>All around IMFL was my favorite race. Loved the swim, bike and run.</p>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.