Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do I do with it? I like kale very much bit have never bought it. How do I choose kale and then what do I do with it? Boil? Steam?

·
Registered
8,064 Posts
I have a great recipe for lentil soup that I put kale in.<br><br>
1Tbs olive oil<br>
2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4" dice<br>
1 medium onion, chopped<br>
2 garlic cloves, crushed<br>
1 can (14 1/2oz)whole tomatoes in puree (I cheat and use the kitchen ready)<br>
1 can (14 1/2oz) vegetable broth<br>
3/4 cup dry lentils, rinsed<br>
1/2 ts salt<br>
1/2 ts coarsely ground black pepper<br>
1/4 ts dried thyme<br>
1 bunch kale (about 1 pound), trimmed and coarsely chopped<br>
3/4 cup elbow macaroni<br>
1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped<br>
grated parmesan cheese<br><br>
In nostick 5 to 6 quart dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add carrots, onion, and garlic, and cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and golden, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes with their puree, broth, lentils, salt, pepper, thyme, and 6 cups water; heat to boiling, stirring to break up tomatoes with side of spoon. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until lentils are almost tender.<br><br>
Stir in kale and macaroni; heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Stir in basil. Serve with parmesan if you like.<br><br>
I hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
16,043 Posts
Here's what I do:<br><br>
I wash a head/bunch<br><br>
Cut out the tough stems<br><br>
Tear it into pieces<br><br>
Throw it in a pot of boiling water, covered for about ten minutes (or until tender)<br><br>
Drain it<br><br>
Toss it into a frying pan with a spoonful of olive oil (vegetarian version) OR the fat left in a pan from frying one piece of bacon in it. Saute for about five minutes over medium heat. You could also have some chopped onion or garlic in the pan too. Some people like to add a few spoonfuls of chicken broth in this step too. Eh.<br><br>
Sprinkle some vinegar over this mess, maybe some hot red pepper flakes too. Heat for another minute or so. Salt to taste. Remember that piece of bacon? Here's where you could crumble it over your pile of kale.<br><br>
Done!

·
Registered
16,043 Posts
Gosh, as far as choosing it, just make sure it isn't limp, which is certainly a good guidline in many life situations.<br><br>
There can be a few different varieties of kale in the grocery store, all of which would work interchangeably.<br><br>
There's the usual curly kind and once I found a smoother, purple variety. It was quite good!

·
Premium Member
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Both of those options sound good.<br><br>
I'm off to the farmers's market in search of kale that isn't limp.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Cleaning it is key and a PITA. Strip the leaves away from the stems. They take forever to soften and the leaves will be overcooked. So throw em out.<br>
I have found bags of cleaned Kale in BJ's. I bet Costco has that too. I know they have it down south that way too.<br><br>
I don't precook but I sautee onions and garlic then throw in the washed Kale till it wilts. As stated a little bacon is nice but not necessary if you are veg.<br>
Then some broth and steam till tender.<br><br>
Also, I makea nice Portugese Kale and white bean soup with either a ham hock or chorizo sausage or both. Plenty of recipes out there for that if you search.

·
Registered
21,889 Posts
Some people make a soup with Kale, Sausage and White Beans. I'm sorry not to have a recipe for you, but to post one that is bad (since I don't know the recipe) would be worse. You could search for one, though, or maybe someone else has a good recipe they would share.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Kale is not nearly as tender as spinach, so you'll have to cook it longer than its cousin and in some sort of liquid. I saute some galic in olive oil for a minute and add some leek (cut off green part [freeze for stock], split in half, rinse, then chop thinly). Cook down until the leek is very tender. Add haphazardly chopped kale and saute. Add either water or stock and bring to a boil. Cover. Cook for...oh...for as long as the kale becomes tender.<br><br>
Enjoy. Oh, and leek is one of those superfoods. I eat lots of leeks, donchaknow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts