Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Or a handy man???</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have a leaking toilet.  Actually, it's not the toilet, it's the supply line.  It's leaking at the valve.  How hard is that to fix? </p>

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
<p>I'd try putting a new valve on first. You'll have to shut the main off, take off the old shut off valve and put a new one one. You probably won't be able to remove the bolt that keeps the valve in place, so hopefully that bolt is not the problem. (Typically, the supply line is flared at the end to keep the bolt from falling off).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If there is a pinhole in the supply line itself, you're probably talking soldering and such.</p>

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
<p>Assuming you are talking about the shut off valve (at the wall) that the water supply line comes out of and attaches to the toilet?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you are lucky, this is a compression fitting (which you should be able to replace) versus a soldered fitting (which generally requires a plumber)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I would snap a photo with phone or camera and take to the hardware store. They should be able to set you up with what you need to replace. I have found that the employees working in the plumbing section usually can answer questions and walk you through the process as well.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Make sure you shut off water to house before you attempt to repair. I would also open a faucet at the lowest point of house to drain some water out of lines (after shutting water off) to relieve pressure.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>good luck</p>
<p> </p>
<p>ETA: I am not a plumber, but have had to do water based repairs</p>

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
<p>Oh, if you have not had to shut the water off before, it is usually done in one of a couple places.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I would first find your water meter. Look at the water line coming out of the meter pointing towards your house. If there is a valve on the line, you would turn it here. This usually requires a T-wrench, but a large pair of pliers or channel locks will work if you can get them in the vault.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If no valve here, there is probably a shut off inside the house near where the water line enters.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>This is all assuming that you do not have internal shut off valves that isolate sections of the house.</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<p>Thank you!!!  Yes, it is the valve on the supply line that comes out of the wall.  Will take photos and take it to Lowes.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Yes, we know where the main cut off is.  Do you have any idea just how quickly the kitchen can flood when there is a pin-hole leak in the ice maker line?  Son2 was able to get the water shut off before the house floated away!</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.