Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>It must be THAT time of the season again ... but this time, something new hurts.  I had a "crampy" feeling in my calf for a little while which i treated by massaging and stretching.  It turned into a full on cramp while struggling to take my wetsuit off following a 1mi swim.  Not long after that (couple days?) i noticed a pain in the back of my knee.  I thought at first ITB but the pain is focused on the center back of my knee .. not the exterior as i would expect for ITB.  I limped around the office for a day then got on Advil and ice whenever possible.  It's not a debilitating pain and I'm able to work out (afraid to go 100% though since i have a race on Sat).  Any one experience this?  Suggested diagnosis/treatment? </p>

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
<p>get a deep tissue massage asap</p>
<p>maybe get a free injury screen from your PT? (you do have a fav PT no? If not - good thing to have in your bag of tricks)</p>

·
Registered
11,855 Posts
<p>Gastroc tendinitis?  Popliteal issues don't sound right to me, and the big-a$$ cramp makes me think the big muscle in your calf is to blame.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>But I'd echo ronbo's suggestions, especially if it lingers</p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/1719" target="_blank">Pain In The Back Of The Knee Article</a></p>

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>Thanks for the replies! I will take your advice and get a massage ASAP and try to get in with a PT that many fellow tri-wounded friends recommend.  Gastroc tendinitis seems like a possibility ... I'll follow the treatment recommended .. uhhhh except the rest part is going to be hard ;)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Was wondering if my seat position could be causing this ... bike position is different from last year and this is a new type of injury .. hmmmm.  Usually, i associate knee pain localized in the front with poor seat height.  Is that worth a look?</p>

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
<p>You need to see which activities make it worse and cut those out/WAY back until you can get it under control. The longer it goes on, the worst it will be to solve for good.</p>

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
<p>if i slide my seat too far forward or push a overlarge gear, I tend yo get irritation on the back side of my knee cap.  If the seat is too high my achiillies gets sore a little.  If my knee hurts when I go down stairs or sit for long periods it seems that rest and hamstring stretching helps, plus keeping the calf loose.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>but i'm no doctor</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.