Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted something similar over in the PRT. I feel this is probably a more appropriate place for it though.<br><br>
Folks, as runners, we are responsible for our own safety. Given what happened at this year's Chicago Marathon, and the Army 10 miler in Virginia, I think you have plenty of examples for <b>why</b> having ID on a long run is so critical.<br><br>
My own experience with ID is far less severe than what happened in Chicago and Virginia, but I wanted to share with you all what a paramedic told me during the Equinox Marathon.<br><br>
For those who might have missed it, during my attempt to run the Equinox this year, I started the race with a fever. During the race I became hypothermic, and was pulled from the course with a body temperature near 95.<br><br>
Fortunately for me I never lost consciousness. One of the first things I told the medic when I got in the ambulance was "All of my information is on my shoe." While I never lost consciousness, and the medic did not need to use the information from the shoe ID, he was able to use it to verify that I was "in my right mind". He could verify my date of birth, name, home town just by looking at the shoe ID.<br><br>
I wear a RoadID shoe ID whenever I run. It's piece of mind for me anyway.<br><br>
When I was feeling better, the medic told me "That id is great, but I wish it was on your wrist." He went on to add "If we came upon you, and you were unresponsive, the first thing we're going to do is check your pulse. That means grabbing a wrist. If the ID is on the wrist, we're bound to find it. We're less likely to find the shoe ID unless there is a leg injury. We'll probably eventually find it, but in an emergency, when seconds count, finding that ID could be critical."<br><br>
My neighbor is a police officer. He has told me "We're trained to look for Medic-Alert bracelets. We're not trained to look for id on a person's shoe. If you have the ID on your wrist, we're far more likely to find it."<br><br>
One more thing that the paramedic told me. Apparently paramedics are now being trained to check cell phones for an entry named ICE. It stands for <b>I</b>n <b>C</b>ase of <b>E</b>mergency. This entry should have the number of a person to call in the event of an emergency where you are unable to speak for yourself.<br><br>
Understand folks, I have no vested interest in selling anyone's product. Instead, I have a vested interest in keeping you folks around. I consider many of you my friends, and would hate to see something horrible happen. In the event of an emergency, when you can't speak for yourself, someone or something has to.<br><br>
So please, if you're running, wear some kind of ID.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I second this, big time. I work in an ER in a resort area. We see a LOT of head injuries: people skiing, snowboarding, biking, etc. Many of those folks can't tell us who they are for a while. It would be great for the people who aren't carrying wallets, like bikers and runners, to have some sort of ID attached to their bodies.<br><br>
I think the wrist band is the best. It should have your name, address, phone # and MEDICATION ALLERGIES. Then put in as many contact numbers as you can fit. Skip the blood type. We have to crossmatch you if you need blood. Skip the sayings. They just take up room.<br><br>
FYI, I wear a MedicAlert tag. I have a medical problem that the paramedics, ER would need to know about. I have it on whenever I travel or when I'm out and about by myself hiking or biking.

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got my new RoadID today. It's a wrist id (yellow).<br><br>
Hopefully, I'll never need it, but I don't plan on taking it off. It looks a lot like a Live Strong wristband.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I actually got the dog tag version when I first started running. If I leave the house for any reason I put it on. I keep it next to my asthma meds so I don't forget to grab it when I leave. I hope never to need it, but I agree with the better safe the sorry plan.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
good reminder and lesson EQ. Thanks for posting that. I don't have a Road ID of any kind but I should probably invest in one.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Anyone see the latest ad in Runners World? That RoadID now has the original version and a new one with an 800 number and website where someone can log in and get the info that would be on the ID?<br><br>
think that is a total marketing thing - really are the people at the hospital going to log on to a website?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't know about other hospitals, but we have computers where we can get to the internet right in the ER. I think we'd be happy to look up the ID's if it would help us identify someone.<br><br>
It would be nice if the website had a picture that we could match to the person's face. I don't know if they can do that yet.

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is another post worthy of me coming out of hiding...<br><br>
I can't speak to the hospitals, but I know in my home town the police cars and I believe the fire department vehicles are all equipped with laptop computers. I don't know if they can access the WWW from the cars, but I know they can access the Registry of Motor Vehicles computer systems from in the car (ie, if they pull you over, they can run your plate from right in the car...no need to call your plate in to dispatch).<br><br>
If they can do that, it might not be too big of a stretch to say that the first responders could look you up on RoadID's website to get your information.<br><br>
I didn't want to do that when I bought mine. It'd be just my shit-dumb-luck that I'd get hit by a car on the same day that the RoadID server crashes, and my information was unavailable. I figure this way, my information is available to the first responders. And, it's available even faster because they don't have to go to the web and look it up.<br><br>
FWIW - I had my next door neighbor, a cop here in Massachusetts, look at my new RoadID the other day. He knew what almost everything was on the tag. He did not know the acronym <b>NKA</b> - which is No Known Allergies, and got a bit stumped on <b>No Med HX</b> - he couldn't figure out the HX, which is short for History. Even he agreed though, the paramedics probably WOULD know what that meant.<br><br>
Just my humble 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth (probably less than 2 cents).<br><br>
...back to hiding...

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
EQ - stop hiding first of all!<br><br>
totally what I think - would rather have that info on the ID itself, because I'm like you it would be my luck the day I need someone to access the info is the day the web is down, or slow.<br><br>
I'm on my 2nd RoadID (first one in OR and then when we moved to Michigan) and when we eventually by a house here in Michigan I'll get one with the current info on it. $20 or so isn't too much to pay for a bit of security.

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
That reminds me... I need a new Road ID because my phone number changed...<br><br>
If anyone has one and needs a new one, I believe they just emailed out coupon codes to all of their previous customers (or maybe I'm just lucky).

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
I have one that I used to attach to my shoe but half time I would forget to rotate it through my shoes so now I got smart and I attached it to my garmin. It is always there.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
I bought one two weeks ago.... I got the Dog tag style. Other info to put on it is Hospital of Choice if you have more than one in your area. We just had a Doctor collapse while running and almost died... when the paramedics came they do it on a every other bases (atleast in this area) and she ended up going to the other hospital not the one she was a doctor at.... however I think it could be more important for your Health insurance side of it. (next time I will probably do this)<br><br>
I also put a little message on mine for my wife incase of death... (One last love note)

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Thanks again EQ. I read what you posted when it was originally up there. I had already decided to get the wrist ID and your post just verified that it was a good decision. Mine's blue and I put it on everytime my running shoes are on.<br><br>
Fortunately, I haven't had the need to use it, but it's there just in case.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Last year for my birthday my best friend got me the shoe IDtag in red, since my shoes are white and blue it stands out! I had been running a lot of trails alone and she always makes me call her going into the trail with my estimated end time and then I call her when I exit the trail. There is no cell service in the state parks so having the phone w/ me is pointless. It is a good idea to have one.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I've had a wrist Road ID for a year or so. It's by my running watch so I remember to wear it everytime I head outside. The shoe version would never get forgotten but, as mentioned, medics don't check feet for a pulse while admiring your $100 running shoes.<br><br>
I have my name, township, a few phone #s, medical insurance #, NKA and Organ Donor. I'm hoping that the last item doesn't come into play... Odd that a policeman wouldn't know what NKA stood for.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Oh good! I got the wrist one because it came in pink!!<br><br>
...but I admit I don't wear it enough. I run with a training group and we all have shoe tags, so I always have that on, but the road ID has more info. I do wear the road ID most of the time when I'm biking since I don't have the running shoe on with the info.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks for reminding EQ. I just orderder my wrist Road ID original version. I am going to wear it every time I run.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have a ankle Road ID, but if I were to buy another, I would get one for my wrist. I won't bother with one for my shoes because I have about 5 pair that I rotate through.<br><br>
Victor

·
Registered
76 Posts
I generally only wear mine on longer runs. not that I couldn't get hurt on a short run - I guess I'm just playing the odds.<br>
I have the one that velcros into your laces.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts