Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran the Georgia half marathon today. Everything went well and I'll be submitting a race report this evening or tomorrow.<br><br>
HOWEVER, after I finished, I went through the finish line, got a bottle of water and drank it on the way to the Marta Station (Atlanta's version of a subway system). Felt fine. Got on a train with standing room only and began feeling very lightheaded. The train got to the next station (2 minutes later) and I was really feeling like I might need to ask someone for their seat or end up on the floor.<br><br>
But due to male ego I simply waited till we got to the North Avenue Station another 2 minutes later and got off the train to go sit down for a few minutes. By this time my head was spinning so much I wasn't 100% sure I was going to make it to the long seats. I did and sat there in the coolness. I was very clammy, cold and pale to the touch.<br><br>
I kept feeling partly nauseous but if I got up I was worried I might indeed be laying on the floor. I finally moved about 5 feet and rested my back against the wall. I was getting really concerned about possibly needing to ask for medical attention. At that time I started coming around, the next train arrived and I boarded it, stood up until we reached Lindbergh Station (7-10 minutes) and then had a seat until reaching my station and getting to my car.<br><br>
So what was going on with my body until I was able to get back on the second train? I felt well hydrated. I hit the water stops, had a vanilla cliff package on the course. No powerade but I normally don't do sports drinks when running. I did notice they had no power drinks at the finish and usually I do down one once I'm passed the finish line.<br><br>
I've never had anything like this happen before and it totally unnerved me.

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
hmmmm. you are in the south and it is the first really hot day of the season, correct? You raced. No sports drink. I would think it was low blood sugar.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about that but I don't normally use sports drinks during the run because they upset my stomach. But I do normally down one right after the race and I was looking for them afterwards. Low blood sugar is possible, although wouldn't the cliff shot gu stuff have helped with that?

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
Maybe, but if you are not heat acclimated yet, that may have made the symptoms worse???

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
I agree with merigayle.<br><br>
I had a similar situation happen a little over a year ago and I did pass out. They ran lots of tests and the only thing they could come up with was lack of fuel.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I think it's low blood sugar as well. When you take in a large amount of sugar, as with the GU, if your body produces more insulin to react to it than needed, it will send your blood sugar lower. Or if your blood sugar was low to begin with. What did you eat yesterday?<br><br>
Also, did you walk around enough b/w finishing the race and hitting the MARTA.<br><br>
As for the nausea, I get that some times before fainting. I'm glad you made it home without that happening!

·
Registered
57 Posts
In addition to low blood sugar, I'm going to suggest you might have been suffering from loss of electrolytes. Make sure you get in some salt and potassium tonight and tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
15,134 Posts
That's exactly how I feel when my blood sugar drops...I have reactive hypoglycemia...

·
Registered
35 Posts
GaReb, I would have an educated guess that it was simply blood pooling combined with a lower blood pressure after your effort in the half.<br><br>
Should this ever happen again lay down and elevated your legs above your head. Then employ other recovery techniques of which I'm sure you are familiar with - hydration water plus electrolyte replacement, hot/cold bath if not showers then stretching

1 - 9 of 9 Posts