Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first multisport event. It was a 2 mile run, 11.5 mile bike, and 2 mile<br><br>
I completed it slowly, but I did not finish last.<br>
1:27.<br>
I was very nervous before I started. I was more nervous as I walked in to ready my transiton and saw all the tiny road bikes. I saw a couple of mountain bikes, but my upright hybrid seemed quite unique at that point. And it seemed huge in comparison, since my hybrid was bought by (and fits) my 6'4 boyfriend. All the duathletes were extremely nice.... I found most the people to be friendlier than at the typical running race. They were very helpful and several noticed I was feeling nervous and made jokes to calm me down. The volunteers were pretty great so far as support goes. And nobody jumped out to tell me I was disqualified and a disgrace for violating some USAT rule that I didn't mean to violate-- which I was completely fretting about ahead of time.<br>
I know my first 2 mile run was 17:57... I don't know my transition times or my last run. I do believe my last run was 21 minutes... it might have been 22. My brain was a little fuzzy leaving T2. I tried to go normal speed, but for the first mile when I tried to speed up a wave of nausea overwhelmed me. Never had that before. Oy vey. My last mile was ten minutes after that post bike feeling left me.<br>
Transitions must have been quick. They involved drinking some water and holstering/unholstering my bike. I rode my hybrid that has normal non-clip, non-clipless pedals. No change of shoes needed. T2 was a little annoying because I went to put my bike back in my transition area and right there was another bike for some reason. I didn't know how to respond, so I picked that bike up and moved it over and put mine back where I originally had it above my stuff. Hopefully I didn't seriously annoy anyone. Should I have just put my bike elsewhere, or put my bike elsewhere and moved my other gear? I dunno.<br>
The bike was a little weird-- mainly because my bike computer claimed the distance was 13 miles instead of 11.5. It's never been off before, but I'm sure it must have been otherwise other people would have been throwing a fit. I kept it to myself. I had a near wreck resulting from forgetting to practice getting my water bottle in and out before the race. Apparantly, it's difficult to put it back in at speed. I had to stop completely to avoid the wreck I tried to cause while not watching the road (thankfully, it would not have been with another bike, just me and the ground on the side of the greenway) I forgot to eat my gel, which was pretty stupid since I hadn't eaten in 12 hours because I was travelling and didn't feel comfortable raiding my host's kitchen for breakfast.<br>
All in all, though, I had a blast. Even this little sprint multisport was harder than I thought it would be... Probably rank it second in the feeling of gratification upon completion-- above my half-marathons. I definately would like to do one again. Oddly enough for the amount of effort I thought I put into it, my legs were not tired today. I guess a break in the pounding they could recover faster. *shrug*<br>
Oh, and next time, I'll have a road bike. Will be purchasing this week. Sweet. Tell ya what, the du did nothing to alleviate my bike envy, though I did beat some people on road bikes so I guess that reinforces that it's the person not the bike... bla bla bla... still want. So yeah, yay, I did a multisport event! Woohoo!

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I read the report on your blog this morning, but just want to repeat how much I enjoyed it here! Nice going, du'de!<br><br>
And enjoy the bike shopping.

·
Registered
14,434 Posts
WHEEEEEEE! and CONGRATS!<br><br>
Was your SO part of your support crew?<br>
Did he stand on the road with a cowbell and rally monkey?<br><br><br><br><br>
~I did a Du [1.5miles, 17miles, 3miles] back in '04, and found it to be nerve-wracking...and if I hadn't had to make a freaking WTPJ stop, I'd have gotten 3rd in my age group.

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Very cool that you completed one. Congratulations. I am still trying to find a du down here in Jacksonville. They have several tri's but no du's. Oh well.

·
Registered
25,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, you're right. The closest I could find in the next few months is a 3 hour drive either to South GA or across Florida.<br><br>
GA looks the same way right now. Lots of tris, not so many dus. It was a total 4 hour drive to get to Nashville.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts