Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate running in the cold. My nose runs, i wear too many clothes, i am afraid of frostbite, my gatorade freezes, and i am lonely.<br><br>
argh.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
sorry meri. I really admire your fortitude! I always feel guilty reading posts about training in extreme cold, but we'll be even when it's 95 degrees and 500% humidity during my 5 am training runs in August

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
My avatar was taken after 20 miles at -26C. Hence the 5 lbs of sweat ice hanging off my chin. My coldest running temp is -39C, where I ran for 7 miles. The first two miles were brutal, but after warming up a bit it was OK. I could have gone much further. Extreme cold temps are usually good times to hear special noises, as sound seems to carry much more sharply then.<br><br>
This year I have been indoors most of the winter due to heavy snow here in the mountains. We have almost 8 meters so far. Roads are down to single lane, so no room to jump out of the way when the ore trucks come roaring by. As much as I dislike TM running, it is far preferable to NO running.

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
I honestly don't mind the getting out there in the cold and running. What's causing me problems is the length of the runs. Today it was -25 or so with wind (15 below F) and while I would have run 6 or 7 miles in that, the thought of 14 miles in it with poor traction just didn't appeal.<br><br>
Also, Calgary alternates between shake and bake and bake and shake. We'll have above freezing temps for the next few days, and the snow will melt and turn to ice overnight. YaxTrax time.<br><br>
On the flip side, the dreadmill may have caused me to push a bit harder than I might have otherwise.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I agree so much. At first it is so nice to not be warm, but the appeal fades very quickly in getting out of a nice warm bed to being cold for the first 10 or so minutes of a run. This winter was especially brutal for me with usually well below 0*F at the time I would run before school. Add that to the lack of sunlight and my running nearly came to a standstill. I do have a treadmill available but despise it so I will be working on "liking" it this summer.<br><br>
Another thing is the nice warm weather we had a few weeks ago. I mean seriously, how cruel is it to be in the 70s and then drop down to the 20s and 30s the next week???<br><br>
Alex

·
Registered
25,018 Posts
It's not cold enough to worry about frostbite here, but if I see another sign of winter in the next 6 months I'm going to be so PO'ed.<br><br>
I hate the cold. Very much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts