Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just ending recovery from my last one. Still some aches and pains, still some slowness, although I've run a few "better than race pace" runs on the dreadmill at the hotel.<br><br>
1) I am only up to 40 miles per week, and that's this week<br>
2) I look at the 55 mpw plans and they look skimpy (Pfitz et al), even the 12 week ones.<br>
3) I look at the 18 week 70 mpw one and I can't do the first few weeks, and part of me wonders if I can do it at all this summer (life intervenes).<br><br>
I want to improve, know that I can if I put the miles in, but I don't have the base back yet.<br><br>
What to do...?<br><br>
Go with a 12 week 70 one and work up to 55 or so consistent miles with lots of MP runs thrown in? Pick up the 18 week one when I can? What?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I think 40 mpw is pretty good, actually. And I don't think you've really "lost" the base. Then again, I think the Pfitz 55 plan is pretty good... <i>especially if you've recently been through a training cycle or two...</i><br><br>
I would work up to 50-55 miles... no speed work aside from strides and the occasional tempo run... and then pick up 18/55 or 18/70 as you can.<br><br>
Here's the trick. The first section of that plan (4-6 weeks, I don't remember) is base building. You are gonna be doing that <i>anyway</i>. If you can get to 55mpw, you should be able to slide into the second phase around the plan's week 5, 6, or 7 with no worries.<br><br>
What race are you looking at?

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "new course" Toronto International. October 14th.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Grizz,<br>
Welcome back.<br><br>
I'd use the Pfitz 70 mpw as a guide, but perhaps modify it down a little bit. You will want to ease into your training as you finish recovery, but it is not as though you need to start over. I think that you can pretty quickly get back up in the 50s - you may not need to be very cautious with your jumps early on. Just monitor your body closely, if it feels like too much, it probably is.<br><br>
If you want to chat in more depth, feel free to e-mail me.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Grizzly,<br><br>
I am facing the same question here with my local group. We are targeting marathons on Oct 7 and 21 (Chicago and Columbus.)<br><br>
I know you've embarked down the road with Pfitz, but I give <i>Daniels Running Formula</i> an endorsement. Not just one of taking his template and slapping against a calendar. Daniels' concepts takes into consideration your past experience (volume you are comfortable with,) time (weeks) available, allows you to develop a program that fits your needs. His program allows this, instead of you having to modify a plan to fit your needs.<br><br>
I have worked with athletes using DRF in the past, and I have developed another plan for this fall using the Daniels concepts.<br><br>
FYI, I have trained in previous seasons with my group using a multitude of plans, including Higdon, Pfitz, Daniels, and most recently this past spring with the Benji Durden plan.<br><br>
There are many plans. Ultimately with each one I've found that the athlete has to modify it to meet their needs. Daniels plan does the best job designing a program that fits the individual.<br><br>
I am willing to share my written materials with you (I just sent out a mailer to a few locals whom I train with.) It may give you a better glimpse at where I am coming from. If you have time to invest, perahps you'd like to study Daniels book (both 1st and 2nd editions are adequate) to help you design a program of your own. One that will fit your needs.<br><br>
Anything to help.<br>
~Lloyd

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Lloyd, Heather, Stevie Ray.<br><br>
I am struggling with the idea of speed. At no time turing the training for Vancouver did I feel I was fast enough... if you know what I mean. Yeah, I was able to run 18 miles at BQ or better pace, but I had no sense that I had what it took.<br><br>
I understand the principles behind training and what Pfitz is getting at, but I just wasn't confident that I could pull off a BQ pace.<br><br>
Now I'm just feeling slow and I have to ramp up to 18 weeks of that again?<br><br>
I know that I can't focus on speed as much as with a Half, but there has to be some sort of happy medium somewhere?

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
grizz. I'm thinking more like roots. As long as you have your base and you are injury free, maybe use the "extra" time to work on a plan that's a little customized. Maybe a chunk of speedwork for 4-6 weeks. Keeping a longish run every other week. Work on your weakness, so to speak, and then delve into a Pfitz or Daniels program at week 8-11.<br><br>
I guess what I'm saying is I kind of disagree with your last paragraph. Why not have as much speedwork as the half??? (actually Daniels formula trains them both the same and I really disagree with that concept. I believe that a half has more in common with the 10k than it does with a marathon). So that said, if I felt that speed is a problem, I definitely wouldn't use Daniels for the first few weeks if I had a good base. I did for many years, and believe me, they were tough workouts, but they really didn't push my parameters. (looking back, because they were actually too tough, I couldn't adjust my speedwork as I progress. Daniels book says run at XX pace, when I probably should have run at x pace and in 3 weeks, try xx pace, and maybe even xxx pace at some point).<br><br>
I'd maybe take a gander at Daniels workouts for a 10k. I'm thinking that Daniels trained alot of post-college athletes that move "up" in distance to the marathon rather than an older athlete that hasn't worked on a track much when he developed his "formula". Like roots, I believe it's a great program, but at some point you have to become aware of how it doesn't exactly "suit" you. If your weak link is speed, I'd think you have plenty of time to work on that. Heck, at the end of 6 weeks of speed work, try a 10k and surprise yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts