Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

How much do you spend on groceries per week?

• $0-25

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $25-50

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • $50-75

Votes: 17 20.0%
  • $75-100

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • $100-125

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • $125-150

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • $150-200

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • $200+

Votes: 6 7.1%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh. I cannot believe how much we spend. Granted, we do not eat out and we usually both take our lunchs to work, but i am always shocked at the register! lol. And it is only the two of us!<br><br>
You an vote more than once if you vary week to week.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I put $125-$150. There are four of us. Normally the total might be more but it includes all the other stuff like shampoo and dog food. Is it me or is it more expensive to buy healthy food than junk?<br><br>
Lisa

·
Registered
755 Posts
Over $200 for a family of 5-sometimes well over that. The organic fruit really gets me depending what time of year it is. Blueberries can be $4.99 for the tiny little container and we eat about 6-8 of those small containers a week! Also organic grapes are horribly expensive-I once spent over $20 for a bag of grapes. I do think it is worth it-it's a very personal opinion but I think it's a possiblity that the huge increase in PDD and other learning disabilities and food allergies are caused in part by the chemicals we are breathing and eating. But yes-eating healthy can be very expensive.

·
Registered
25,018 Posts
There's two of us, and depending on the week groceries are anywhere between $125 and $200.<br><br>
Lots of fresh veggies, fruits, and lean meats-- that's the majority, and going into the prepackaged aisle for some of Nate's faves.

·
Registered
21,889 Posts
I don't know! I don't usually get to shop. And it's one of the few kinds of shopping I like. Figures.<br><br>
I do buy fun added stuff on the way home some days, like wine, ice cream, chips.

·
Registered
595 Posts
We have a family of 4 and spend $125 to $150 per week. (My daughters are only 9 - what's it going to be like in a few more years?) And it seems to me that the cost of the food items we buy regularly has increased substantially in the last year. I think fuel costs and the diversion of corn for ethanol production have really impacted food prices.

·
Registered
22,241 Posts
I spend ~$50 per week just for myself. My food bill went up dramatically when I moved to the SF bay area...they rip us off here!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
depends... there are two of us and i try to buy lots of veggies and good stuff.<br><br>
ive spent as little as $80 and as much as $200. this weeks tab was $184. i got loads of veggies and im going to make myself eat them this week, instead of letting them go bad.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
We spend about $200 a week....at LOT of fruits and veggies.<br><b>Kruss</b>, I'm in the same boat with the blueberries. My family enjoys thems o much. It bugs me that they are so expensive for 50 weeks out of the year.<br><br>
Becca

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
50-75/week for two. Groceries keep going up. Eggs are $1.69/dozen now. Two months ago they were .99 to $1.09. I'm not sure what's going on with the egg layers union right now.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
At least $175/wk for five of us. I do buy paper products, shampoo, etc at the grocery store, too. We also go through a lot of milk and right now the milk we buy is $4.99/gal. I don't buy a lot of meat but when I do I only buy the pricey stuff (no hormones, antibiotics, etc) so that adds up.

·
Registered
8,064 Posts
I spend at least 200 dollars a week. We eat a lot of fresh produce, dairy and lean meats and they don't come cheap. It is definately a lot more expensive to eat healthy stuff than junk. It costs about 4 dollars to give each of my 3 kids an apple - but, a package of Oreo's (that would feed the entire neighborhood) only costs 2.50! Go figure - makes you wonder why the US has such an obesity epidemic!

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i buy a lot of my produce at Costco, it is not organic for the most part, but very friendly in the price. I will only buy DH organic meat and that is very expensive too. Fruit is my weakness at the market.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I said 200+ for 4 of us. Again, like Kruss, the organic route is expensive, but we choose to go down that road for most stuff. I know that number includes a lot of non-grocery items though since we also do the costco route and you never get out of there with just groceries.<br><br>
For all you blueberry lovers, the kiddos and I did some blueberry picking at a farm back around Labor Day -- 0.75 / pound! We picked about 12 pounds and we are still eating them out of the freezer. Yummy! (Although they were better fresh.)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Usually between 100-150 for just me. I buy a lot of frozen stuff , apples, and bell peppers to take to work for lunch, dinner, and snacks. Because of my hours and my eating habbits I eat 2 meals there. Those Lean Cuisine dinners really add up after a while. Then there is the stuff for at home on top of that. If I did not go though so much frozen stuff at work I think it would be about $75 per week.

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dankina- sometimes lean cuisine is on sale for $1.70 a box, i stock up!!!!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yep I do the same. Have you tried the Healthy Choice Bowls? Those are pretty good. I stock up on those if I can find them on sale too.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts