Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Grizzly made a comment in the Roads, Trails, Pathways thread about selective cropping.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have no idea what this website does when we upload our images (scale, resize, limits, etc) but I do know that if too many full res images are uploaded, we could slow this puppy down.  I also know that sometimes, uploaded images are too big for the thread window and require scrolling.  So, I thought I would share my process for resizing images for the web.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In Photoshop (any version; Elements or Full):</p>
<p> </p>
<p>1.  Click Image on top tool bar, then click Image Resize</p>
<p>2.  Set resolution to 72 pixels per inch</p>
<p>3.  Set pixel dimensions of the image to 600 x 400 pixels (or 400 x 600, depending on orientation), click ok</p>
<p>4.  Click File, Save As and give it the original file name with and _sm or _web or _somethingthatmakessensetome</p>
<p>5.  Click Save, in the Save Dialog Box, change the Image Quality to 5 or Medium, then click OK</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My original files make 1,940 Kb jpeg files.  The resized versions are 66 Kb.  Your small, web-version file is now saved with a file name that lets you know this is the web version.  The web version is a good size for web viewing and fast uploading and they won't require scrolling in the thread posts.  Please note, web files will make crappy prints at any size other than 4x6 (maybe).  Make sure you do this to a copy - don't resize your original! </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, as I said, this process is for Adobe Photoshop, but I'm sure whatever program you use has something similar.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>If anyone has another process and/or in another program, please share your process here.</p>

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
<p>I like uploading my photos to Picasaweb (so I can also share with friends and family) then using the "Insert Image" button here to link to the URL on Picasaweb.  If I understand correctly, that makes the load easier on the Kickrunners server (but I could be wrong).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, I do most of my editing just using Picasa, which makes the upload to Picasaweb seamless.  As an editing tool, it is simple to use and usually gives me the results I'm looking for.  I have not yet mastered Photoshop Elements. </p>

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Yeah, I think uploading to another site first and then inserting the link means the image is actually stored where it was uploaded.  Does Picasa automatically resize your images for web viewing?  If it does, that makes it even easier.  I have to resize my stuff for my blog and on-line viewing clients.  I have made actions and such to streamline the process so I don't actually go through all of those steps when I have hundreds of photos to resize.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have used (and still use) photobucket for random web sharing.  I resize those before I upload too, since all I do is copy and paste the url for sharing here.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.