Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 15k (9.3m) race at the end of September. I don't really have a goal time; I just want to finish strong. There are three saturdays before the race. The schedule calls for no long run this week, a 9 mile, then a ten mile one week before the race. I've done one 7 miler and 2 eight milers, and missed one seven miler. It just seems to me that I should do the 10 miler three weeks out or two weeks out, and have a smaller run one week out. Or does it matter? My training has been spotty, but I've done some half-assed speed workouts, alternating each week between tempo runs and intervals.<br><br>
After this race, I want to base build and then prep for a half marathon in March. I really want to get close to my pre-children race times for the half. This race in September is more just to motivate the running bug.<br><br>
Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
465 Posts
As your goal is "finish strong", you may not need the full-on taper that some training plans will have... though I'm surprised your schedule calls for a 10 miler the weekend before. Where did you get it?<br><br>
As you've missed a 7 miler, I would advise trying do something this weekend.<br><br>
I would suggest 6-7 this week, 9 next, and 10 the following...<br><br>
OR, if you feel pretty normal right now... 9 this week, 10 next week, and 6-7 the following.<br><br>
Bottom line for your goal: getting in a 9 and a 10 somewhere in the next few weeks is more important than syncing it up perfectly.<br><br>
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks srlopez. I'm using a Higdon 15k intermediate plan from online. I was surprised by the 10 the week before, too.<br><br>
I think I'll follow your advise and do 9 this week, 10 next and 6-7 seven a week out. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Normally, when I select a training plan I try to follow it as best I can, but when I miss a run I just continue on with the schedule. It seems strange with this one that the longest run is only a week before the race. However, HH schedules are usually well thought out, so I would put my faith in the old guy and do what he suggests.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts