Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that every time I need to do an interval workout the temp dips in teens (with windchill single digit). How effective is it to do intervals in low temp like that? I have no problems doing non-speed work outdoor, but at this low temp, HR may not go high enough? (Finding a clear stretch of 1200m is another matter, but I think I can manage that.) I just don't like running on dreadmill.

·
Registered
464 Posts
This is what our group does, training in similar temps:<br><br>
Extra long warm-up, i.e. if the total workout is 10 miles, w/4x1200 meters, then the warm-up will be close to 5 miles, with a shorter "cool down". If it is really cold and windy we will run the repeats by effort, instead of hitting a time or hr goal. Wear a face mask that comes up over your mouth if needed to warm the air.<br><br>
Not ideal but making the best of the situation and certainly better than the dreadmill!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Good luck! We have a sidestreet that we do the intervals on. It measures exactly 600 meters, with a stopsigns at the 200 and 400 M mark. It's perfect for the Pfitz intervals when the track is covered with snow, although the neighbors do think we are crazy!

·
Premium Member
7,012 Posts
I've done them outside down to about 15-20 degrees. Colder than that and it's inside to the treadmill.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I don't see any reason why you can't do intervals outside even down to well below zero as long as the roads are clear. Just run them based on effort instead of time. Dress appropriately.<br><br>
Victor

·
Registered
140 Posts
I used to do hard, quality work when it was pretty cold out, but I have a greatly increased tendency to get really tight/sore spots in my muscles when I do anything other than slow and easy if the temperature gets down below the teens. I still run regardless of the temps, but I've had to back way off on intervals for winter living where I do. Not sure why, I dress plenty warm, so I wouldn't say it is something that applies to anybody other than me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's not hard to do intervals in cold weather as long as you dress warmly.<br>
I've run intervals of 5 minutes or longer in -25C. It's easier to run based on time than distance in colder weather. We used to do this workout of<br>
3-5 x 2 miles at around 5 to 5:20 pace in -20c or better as long as the wind wasn't blowing it wasn't too bad. I've raced a couple of xc races in the -20c range you don't worry about time in races like that just placing.<br>
Fartlek typretraining is great do to do in colder weather and gives you a good workout. Cheers

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did 1200x4 in a single digit. Wore a mask for the first time. Boy, that thing is annoying and couldn't breath through my nose. I couldn't meet the time target nor HR reached to the target. And my muscles seemed to get tighter than usual, in spite of a good long warm up. Oh, well. I ran hard! I have one more VO2 max run on my schedule (1600x3). Let's hope it will be above freezing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts