Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I debated whether to put this under the race forum of here but since many expos are in or near the host hotel I decided to put it here.<br><br>
So, I'm Richmond in a couple of weeks and booked the Omni Richmond at it's $125.00/night special rate for 3 nights a couple of months ago. It's a very nice hotel, the finish line is just outside and the expo is being held there. Today I found out my parking fee will be $19.00/day plus valet tip.<br><br>
So after adding everything up for my 3 day stay it's going to be around $500.00. So I went to hotels.com, found a nice Comfort Inn 7 miles away for $40.00/night with free continental breakfast and free parking. Total bill is $143.00. I've decided we can eat very well while in Richmond on the savings as well as sight see without thinking about how much this inexpensive marathon is really costing me.<br><br>
At any rate I'm cancelling the Omni reservations tomorrow.<br><br>
Does anyone else start thinking about whether the convenience of the host hotel is worth the cost as they get closer to having to shell out the bucks?

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
actually, that's pretty cheap for a host hotel. I paid more for a hotel for 2 nights in Duluth for a room I cancelled (or tried) 2 weeks prior to the race.<br><br>
The valet shit though sux. I had that at host hotel for CIM. The night before the race they shoved a notice that I "had" to use valet parking and the rates went from $20 (normal rate) to $30 that night. I liked the convenience of the host hotel (they have special breakfast hours and such on race day).....but the valet thing would piss me off enough to cancel and I'd let them know when I do. I dislike extortion.<br><br>
The one thing about a host hotel is that when just about everyone there is doing the marathon, it will be quiet. There's nothing worse than being in a hotel and there's a wedding party on your floor. Or worse yet, I stayed in a dorm one year for Grandma's and there was a kids swim meet or camp going on.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
If there's anything you need to know about Richmond, I might be able to help. I ran it last year.<br><br>
The one problem I encountered - There's this little 1 mile freeway that puts you right next to the host hotel. If I remember, taking an immediate right turn from the freeway puts you into a parking garage that is free on race day. But I flew there, I'd gotten rid of all my change to go through airport security. When you get to the end of the little offramp there is a toll booth that is only attended M-F. Exact change only, 10 cents. I stared at it for awhile, decided not to back up onto the freeway, and drove around the toll barrier.<br><br>
Bad Hippo!

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
I stayed at a non-host motel once when there was some sort of biker convention going on.<br><br>
There were noise issues. Meth-freaks-in-the-hall issues. That sort of thing.

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
The Equinox used to have the Fairbanks Princess Hotel as one of their sponsors. In all the years I've traveled to Fairbanks for the race, I've never stayed there. They were just too expensive for my taste.<br><br>
The place I stay is essentially a 1 bedroom furnished apartment. It's about the same price as a regular hotel room. It's 3 miles from the start.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts