1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A pre hack report. But it's still recent....<br><br>
Hopkinton Sweet 16 Sprint (Toddler) Tri –<br><br>
digest: .25/12.5/3.1 time=1:09. 3rd in AG.<br><br><br>
Where this name comes from, I do not know. There were no 16 yo’s to be found.<br><br><br>
Got up about 6, coffee, banana, yogurt. Hopkinton is all of 10 min away, so easy drive, good parking space, etc.<br>
Pre race was fun. It’s amazing how having some extra time relieves all the pressure. Went looking and found, LeftRightRepeat and Gatorgirl, Sheldon’s sister, Thor, Orapin, Deirdre and Mark (and Mark’s wife), from work, a bunch of the tri team’s members, and a few pool members.<br><br><br>
My wave is second to last (typical). They were gonna have a run from the beach start, but, due to low water levels rocks were too close to the surface for safety. So water start. I stood on one of those rocks and was only knee deep, when the gun went off. Fun to dive in for the start. Mediocre swim. 10m for a 1/4 mile. I’ll take it.<br><br><br>
Slow T1. I do not have times. I constantly forget to hit split. Toe clips on the bike for a short ride. So running shoes, no socks, yanx laces.<br><br><br>
Bike: I begin to pass people straight away. Pretty good bike. The first big turn I almost blow it. Waaaay too fast. I am hopping on both brakes. The bike is shaking. I go around the right hand turn swinging into the oncoming traffic lane. They are not shut down, but no oncoming cars. Lucky me. Seriously, if there were, I would have been off the road to the left (or worse). I pass a ton of riders, and do not get passed by even one.<br><br><br>
T2: Cool. The running shoes are on. I drop the bike, the helmet. And run out. I gained 20 places I am sure.<br><br><br>
Run: A good start. Within 50 yds I pass an age grouper. I do not even stalk hi, just blow by. At about 1M I get a ..side stitch! Gimme a break! I slow from sub 7 to 7:30 or so (just guessing). The first half of the run is mostly uphill, but not bad. At a turn around I my buddy age grouper is merely 20 or 50 feet back! HS! I am running scared now. The remainder is mainly downhill, and I am a downhill runner. The side stitch is more manageable, and I feel a bit better. Within a 1/2M of the finish, a great guy who is an AG above me (and started with me), passes. I have to hand it to him. My only “got passed” since exiting the water. He won his age group.<br><br><br>
A fun time after. I just rotated from imaginary friends, to tri group friends, to swim club friends, to cute volunteers who should have been racing but were doing their part.<br><br><br>
All in all a fun day. And some great cell phone calls after.<br><br><br>
OKOKOK, now back to running. Hartford is 5 weeks out. Then a winter of running, swimming, and gag, trainer biking.<br><br><br>
Thanks all!!!!<br>
Craig<br><br><br>
Top 3 AG results:<br>
Swim T1 Bike T2 Run Total<br>
08:45.5 1:37.9 0:32:06.5 0:44.4 20:33.3 1:03:47.5<br>
08:58.2 1:21.8 0:32:58.2 0:57.5 21:21.7 1:05:37.4<br>
10:44.4 2:08.2 0:34:48.7 0:45.0 21:09.2 1:09:35.5 <--me

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
You did a great job. I can understand the running speeds, but since I'm not a tri-girl, I don't quite understand the bike and swim times in terms of speed, etc. But to place 3rd in your AG is great Pro! Congratulations on great event!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aw Tam, you're so nice. The bike time = about 20.5mph. Anything over 20 is good for me. The swim pace is about 40min/mile. This is poor, but expected.<br><br>
The guy who won the race was<br>
6 min swim<br>
25mph on the bike<br>
5:40 pace for the 5k.<br><br>
That's fast.<br>
Craig

·
Registered
595 Posts
Pro, I didn't know you were so multi-talented. But then again, being the "profromdover", it's to be expected, huh? At any rate, nice job. This wasn't your first tri, was it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts