Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>hi kickmasters!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>i'm posting this early since i'll be off-line through the weekend.  i'll tally up your results from last week on monday night... until then please post your plans here.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>and since it's the holidays, let's have a holiday-related question:  please discuss your favorite "good will toward men" act from 2010.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>mine was taking over the tucson running meetup site.  it costs me a couple hundred $$ per year to keep the web page, but mostly it takes time in the form of organizing running events.  my vow is to always finish last on the runs that i organize, and while it's trying to run 11:30 minute miles, it's really fun to see new runners get excited about running and make progress.  i don't know how much longer i'll stay as the organizer of this site, maybe through 2011... but since running in tucson has given me so much joy, i figured i'd do my best to try to give some back.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>tally from 13-19 dec:</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>opie</strong> - 24.37mi w/ crazy 5k pr in a solo workout!</p>
<p><strong>evanflein</strong> - 39mi + 10.6 elliptiwalking with some nice winter temperatures.</p>
<p><strong>mcsolar</strong> - 75mi in a cutback week with some speed</p>
<p><strong>hemerocallus</strong> - 25.15mi in a smooth recovery week</p>
<p><strong>tamster</strong> - 22.7mi with two hill-a-cious workouts</p>
<p><strong>bty</strong> - 19mi with a couple of rest days the way non-dove runners rest</p>
<p><strong>orangemat</strong> - 41mi + yoga</p>
<p><strong>hally</strong> - 5.85mi + elliptiweights</p>
<p><strong>paul</strong> - 24mi + weekend run (?)</p>
<p><strong>jjjessee</strong> - 41.95mi with some tough trail-ing</p>
<p><strong>fortunate one</strong> - 30mi on a short week</p>
<p><strong>dove</strong> - 46.2mi with marathon #71 and some weights </p>

· Registered
3,111 Posts
<p>Hmmm, not much for a plan except I've got a short week so more time for running!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm really bad at volunteering and raising my hand... I learned how to say No pretty well awhile ago. I'm good at volunteering my kids to go work for my dad or my siblings. Does that count? (didn't think so.)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Monday: 4 miles elliptical (34:17), .5 mile walk on the track</p>
<p>Tuesday: 4 miles elliptical (31:07), .5 mile walk on the track (ack, I see a rut developing here!)</p>
<p>Wednesday: <span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family:Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;color:rgb(68,68,68);">4 miles elliptical (30:30), 3.5 mile fartlek run on the track, .5 mile walk</span></p>
<p style="color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:1em;margin-top:0em;margin-right:0em;margin-bottom:0em;margin-left:0em;">Thursday: 4.25 miles on the indoor track, .5 mile walk, 25 minutes weights, mostly U/B but some legs, too </p>
<p style="color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:1em;margin-top:0em;margin-right:0em;margin-bottom:0em;margin-left:0em;"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;">Friday: 3 miles elliptical (22:45), .5 mile walk on the track, 12 minutes abs/core, 3.6 hilly miles run and another .3 mile walk </span></p>
<p style="color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:1em;margin-top:0em;margin-right:0em;margin-bottom:0em;margin-left:0em;"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;">Saturday: Merry Christmas! (Rest Day)</span></p>
<p>Sunday:<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family:Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;color:rgb(68,68,68);"> 8 miles on the treadmill, .66 mile walk</span></p>
<p style="color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:1em;margin-top:0em;margin-right:0em;margin-bottom:0em;margin-left:0em;"> </p>
<p style="color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:1em;margin-top:0em;margin-right:0em;margin-bottom:0em;margin-left:0em;">Totals: 19.3 miles run, 15 miles on the elliptical, 3.5 miles walking, 35 minutes weights</p>
<p style="color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:1em;margin-top:0em;margin-right:0em;margin-bottom:0em;margin-left:0em;">Was hoping for more miles, but given all the other stuff, I guess it was a good week.</p>

· Registered
3,124 Posts
<p>Thanks for the thread, mc. My volunteering project this past year was my 30th high school reunion held this past April, no doubt about that. It's one thing to plan and host an event like this, and it's another to build excitement for it. Facebook helped tremendously with that last part. What's odd is that I really wasn't friends with a lot of folks from my year in high school, and especially not those who ended up attending. So from the get-go this wasn't going to be "my party". But I think that's what made the entire experience sweeter: doing something completely for the benefit of others, yet doing the best job I could do myself, especially since I had no experience in party planning like this. Needless to say, I've since dubbed it "the reunion that never ends", in that so many people have reconnected as a result of it. I'm happy for all of them, and some have actually become my "new" friends. Imagine that!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And as I've said before, I'm OK with going yet another 30 years without seeing those people again.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Cutback week is scheduled and the timing couldn't be any better. We're off to Orlando on Saturday for about a week, so I'm busy this week getting reservations booked, laundry done, etc. I've also got this lingering head cold going on, so the running will be EZ PZ at best.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Mon.... rest</p>
<p>Tues... 11 miles</p>
<p>Wed... 4.7 miles</p>
<p>Thur.... 6.4 miles</p>
<p>Fri...... 6.4 miles</p>
<p>Sat..... travel day</p>
<p>Sun.... 4.3 miles</p>
<p> </p>
<p>totals: 32.8 miles</p>

· Registered
3,053 Posts
<p>Interesting question, MC.  I'm afraid I'm not doing all that well on the goodwill front this year.  Aside from bumping up my charity donations in a monetary sense, I'm afraid I've fallen far short on the giving of my time.  The Speedo Run was as much of an excuse to get together with friends and make a spectacle of myself, and I missed out on both our company's United Way Days of Caring and the breast cancer Run for the Cure.  Nor did I volunteer at a run this year.  I need to do better in 2011.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>This week will be a challenge to get at least some running in and finish off the Xmas shopping that I've left to the last minute.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Here's hoping.....</p>
<p> </p>
<p>M............ <strong>3</strong></p>
<p>T............ <strong>40 min spin, core</strong></p>
<p>W........... <strong>6 TM</strong></p>
<p>T............ <strong>core</strong></p>
<p>F............ <strong>6.75</strong></p>
<p>S........... <strong>Yes, rest</strong></p>
<p>S............ <strong>10.25 on trail</strong></p>
<p> </p>
<p>Total:  <strong>26 miles</strong></p>

· Registered
4,580 Posts
<p>My volunteer running project was certainly nothing to brag about, but I volunteered at the 5k starting around the corner at our high school.  It's in August, I was injured and who wants to race in that H&H anyway?  Hopefully I won't be injured next time but plan to volunteer again anyway.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>This week adds an even stronger foundation for good racing in February-June.  My circuit training listed below has changed a little & consists of bench press, chest fly (on bench, with dumbbells), bent-over row, rear fly, leg extension, leg curl, overhead press, lateral raise, heavy hands, dips & curls and will be in the middle of a 4-mile run instead of a separate workout.  As before I'll be doing about 30-sec. stationary bike and elliptical between the lifting but no resting any more.  The 400's need to be around 2 min. for the first 4 & faster on the last 2, about 1:50.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Day.................Plan......................................................................................................................................................................Actual</p>
<p>Monday...lunch yoga; after work 4 mi. easy + circuit............................................................................................yoga cancelled; workout done-4.01 mi. running on grass XC track</p>
<p>Tuesday.....warmup incl. strides & drills, 400m x 6 with 400m recoveries, cooldown, 2 or 3 50-60m strides.......................done-5.71 mi., intervals a few seconds faster than planned!</p>
<p>Wednesday...rest........................................................................................................................................................................done</p>
<p>Thursday.....4 mi. easy + circuit..............................................................................................................................................workout done-4 mi. running on grass XC track</p>
<p>Friday.....1 mi. warmup, strides & drills, 3-mile tempo run, cooldown & 2 or 3 50-60m strides........................................................................done-5.55 mi.</p>
<p>Christmas....rest.....................................................................................................................................................................................done</p>
<p>Sunday.....longish run 80 minutes looking only at the time, not distance or pace..........................................................................................done-8.06 mi.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Total.....................................................................................27.33 miles-3rd straight week sub-10 avg. pace, which has never happened before </p>

· Registered
1,450 Posts
<p>Well, I did my best to ensure that Ribs had a good Twin Cities Marathon.  I also volunteered my time with a youth group at church.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>M............ <strong>5 M</strong> on TM</p>
<p>T............ <strong>5 M</strong> on TM</p>
<p>W........... <strong>5.5 M</strong></p>
<p>T............ <strong>15 M</strong></p>
<p>F............ <strong>5 M</strong></p>
<p>S............<strong> 5.5 M</strong></p>
<p>S............ <strong>4.5 M</strong> on TM, incliuding 3 @ tempo pace</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Total:  <strong>45.5 M</strong></p>

· Premium Member
3,651 Posts
<p>Thanks MC.</p>
<p>I volunteered at some bike club things this past year, also I acted as corresponding secretary for the past two years for the club and going forward I am going to be VP for the next two.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>brrrrrrrrrrrr here but will try to get some runs in.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Monday=1.5 miles</p>
<p>Tuesday=rest</p>
<p>Wednesday=ran 2.1 weights 20 min</p>
<p>Thursday=elliptical 30 min</p>
<p>Friday=</p>
<p>Saturday=ran 2.1 walked 3 miles</p>
<p>Sunday=ran 2.1 weights 30  min</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Totals</strong></p>
<p><strong>run 7.8</strong></p>
<p><strong>weights twice</strong></p>
<p><strong>elliptical once</strong></p>
<p><strong>walked 3 miles</strong></p>

· Registered
6,434 Posts
<p>Thank you Matt for taking on this week and next week.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good question. My favorite thing that I do each year is adopt a child for Christmas presents. This year I have a 7 yr old girl and I'm the only one responsible for getting her gifts. As much as I wish I could see her face on Christmas morning when she has gifts under the tree, it's a total anonymous thing. I only know her age and first name. And she only knows that Santa brought her presents.  But I know she lives in my little town.  The owner of our one and only store in our town picks families with kids from our community that would otherwise not be able to afford a single gift for their kids.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>mon:  rest</p>
<p>tues:  <strong>5 miles</strong> (48:00)</p>
<p>wed:  rest</p>
<p>thur:  0</p>
<p>fri:     5 miles (51:32)</p>
<p>sat:    0</p>
<p>sun:  0</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>miles run: 10 miles, sucky week running wise.</p>

· Registered
1,018 Posts
<p> </p>
<p>Monday..............6.5...........................<strong>6.5</strong> with 4 at 8:00 - 8:10 pace.</p>
<p>Tuesday.............5 easy.....................<strong>5.0</strong> recovery</p>
<p>Wednesday........7 medium long.........<strong>12.1</strong> long run.  Can't run Saturday, likely.</p>
<p>Thursday............5 <span style="text-decoration:line-through;">easy</span> recovery.......0</p>
<p>Friday.................6 easy.....................0</p>
<p>Saturday.............14 long....................0</p>
<p>Sunday................adjust as needed....0</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I banged my durned little toe into a door on Thursday morning and called off all runs until the purple is gone from my toe.  Yes, it's the same one I broke back at the end of October. </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Total Plan..........................45</p>
<p>Execution..........................23.6</p>
<p> </p>
<p>b</p>

· Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<p>a wave run this week then a kick-ass long run to start my final 100 mile, 7day stretch on sunday</p>
<p> </p>
<p>plan / <strong>actual</strong></p>
<p> </p>
<p>m: 10 ez / <strong>7.5mi 8:00 flagstaff</strong></p>
<p>t: 10 ez / <strong>10mi 8:30 tucson</strong></p>
<p>w: 14mi w/13 (6:40/7:40 alternating) / <strong>14.5 w/12 (6:31 / 7:35)</strong></p>
<p>t: 10 ez / <strong>9.5mi 8:30 pace</strong></p>
<p>f: 12 ez / <strong>0 sick</strong></p>
<p>s: 6 treadmill / <strong>0 sick</strong></p>
<p>s: 24 w/6 @ 6:40 / <strong>0 sick</strong></p>
<p> </p>
<p>target: 85 / <strong>total: 41.5</strong></p>

· Registered
746 Posts
<p>Thanks MC.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>M - 8 miles</p>
<p>T - 8 miles</p>
<p>W - rest day</p>
<p>Th - rest day</p>
<p>F - 8 miles</p>
<p>Sa - rest day</p>
<p>Su - 16 miles</p>
<p>_____________________________</p>
<p><strong>Total - 40 miles</strong></p>
<p> </p>
<p>Paul</p>

· Registered
3,941 Posts
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks, MC</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I guess our volunteering  for the year has been housing for a Vista volunteering. She, Spencer came form Missouri in Oct 09 and stayed a year helping with cleaning up the water shed.</p>
<p>Didn't volunteer as much on the running front as 2009.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>M...0</strong></p>
<p><strong>T...0</strong></p>
<p><strong>W...0</strong></p>
<p><strong>T...0</strong></p>
<p><strong>F...3.5</strong></p>
<p><strong>S...1</strong></p>
<p><strong>S....8.8</strong></p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>JJJ...13.3</strong></p>

· Registered
1,225 Posts
<p>I've been working with beginner runners for the last 6 months. I love it and it gives me a reason to get out there every day. I'm currently involved with a women's team that is planning on hosting races in other countries with proceeds benefiting charities in those counties. Our first international race will be a half marathon in Nicaragua New Years Eve of 2011 that will benefit the community schools. In addition to our charity international races, we also are putting on a series of "interesting" races locally: 3 Towers Run that has no course, but 3 check points that you must locate and return to the start, Mountain Marathon that we hope will be the toughest trail marathon in the PNW (I think we stand a good chance based on our preview runs on the course), and Transcendence 12-Hour - last year held on a day that reach over 100 degrees.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>This week:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Monday: 3</p>
<p>Tuesday: 4</p>
<p>Wednesday: 7</p>
<p>Thursday: rest</p>
<p>Friday: 7</p>
<p>Saturday: rest</p>
<p>Sunday: 5</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Total: 26</p>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.