Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,<br><br>
I will start doing some early morning runs on the trail before it is light and was wondering what people recommend for a headlamp. Seems like I remember reading the Petzl Tikka Plus is a recommended one from CoolRunning but not sure.<br><br>
Thanks,<br>
Greg

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
I just got a Petzl Tikka Plus at Eastern Mountain Sports. It was supposed to be $35 but I hit the store on the right day and got $20 off at the register. It has four LEDs and is plenty bright. Just used it tonight on a 1:15 run. Very nice. Love it.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I have a Black Diamond Icon and I love it... great headlamp. It's 3 watts and has an amazing burn time on a set of batteries.<br><br>
That said, I <b>*much*</b> prefer a handheld to a headlamp on the trails. You get a lot better depth of field with one. A couple handhelds to look at are the Gerber LX3.0 and the Fenix brand lights (insanely light and bright!).<br><br>
You may want to borrow a couple brands in each variety to see if you have a preference.<br><br>
- Chris

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
i have a petzl tikka. I have started using a handheld as well, because when i was in the Tetons, with just a headlamp, it was too dusty and i was told a handheld would make for better depth perception, in addition to the headlamp.<br><br>
Anything LED will do you fine. And i personally would not buy anything that had to be charged or uses weird batteries, cause if you are at a race in the middle of no where and need batteries last minute, where are you going to find special batteries?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
There's like a huge difference between handheld and headlamp. I can see way better with handheld, point it wherever I want to look. Since I got a Fenix handheld, my son uses the headlamp to read in the car and there it stays. Expensive but worth it when the days grow short IMHO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts