Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<span style="font-family:Arial;"><span style="font-size:large;"><b>Confetti Rice</b></span></span><br><br><span style="font-family:Arial;"><span style="font-size:large;">Okay. Bear with me here. This recipe is one of those "Start with a base and then you're on your own" types.</span></span><br><br><span style="font-family:Symbol;"><span style="font-size:large;">·</span></span> <span style="font-family:Arial;"><span style="font-size:large;">1 knuckle of ginger, peeled and chopped fine</span></span><br><span style="font-family:Symbol;"><span style="font-size:large;">·</span></span> <span style="font-family:Arial;"><span style="font-size:large;">2 cloves garlic, chopped fine</span></span><br><span style="font-family:Symbol;"><span style="font-size:large;">·</span></span> <span style="font-family:Arial;"><span style="font-size:large;">2-3 onions, chopped</span></span><br><span style="font-family:Symbol;"><span style="font-size:large;">·</span></span> <span style="font-family:Arial;"><span style="font-size:large;">1 cup or more raisins</span></span><br><span style="font-family:Symbol;"><span style="font-size:large;">·</span></span> <span style="font-family:Arial;"><span style="font-size:large;">1 cup or more pecans or slivered almonds</span></span><br><span style="font-family:Symbol;"><span style="font-size:large;">·</span></span> <span style="font-family:Arial;"><span style="font-size:large;">1 can mandarin oranges or an orange or two, peeled and separated and chopped. Some OJ if you're not using the juice from the can</span></span><br><span style="font-family:Symbol;"><span style="font-size:large;">·</span></span> <span style="font-family:Arial;"><span style="font-size:large;">frozen peas or frozen corn or both</span></span><br><span style="font-family:Symbol;"><span style="font-size:large;">·</span></span> <span style="font-family:Arial;"><span style="font-size:large;">curry powder... more than you'd think would be prudent</span></span><br><span style="font-family:Symbol;"><span style="font-size:large;">·</span></span> <span style="font-family:Arial;"><span style="font-size:large;">pepper... more than you'd think would be prudent</span></span><br><span style="font-family:Symbol;"><span style="font-size:large;">·</span></span> <span style="font-family:Arial;"><span style="font-size:large;">the rice is from another Recipe Box recipe (Aromatic Rice)</span></span><br><br><span style="font-family:Arial;"><span style="font-size:large;">In vegetable oil over a medium low heat, fry the ginger, garlic and onions until reasonably golden. If they start to dry out, add 1/4 cup water or OJ or lemon juice.</span></span><br><br><span style="font-family:Arial;"><span style="font-size:large;">Add the nuts (if you decide to use them) and toast, again, adding liquid if the mixture starts to dry out. Don't add too much though.</span></span><br><br><span style="font-family:Arial;"><span style="font-size:large;">Add the curry powder and spices. You may think you have too much, but realize that you are going to fold this into the rice and the spice will be diluted.</span></span><br><br><span style="font-family:Arial;"><span style="font-size:large;">Add the remaining ingredients and simmer. Again, don't let it dry out.</span></span><br><br><span style="font-family:Arial;"><span style="font-size:large;">Then fold it into the rice. You can serve it hot or let it all cool down and add mayonnaise to the rice to make a cold salad.</span></span><br><br><span style="font-family:Arial;"><span style="font-size:large;"><b>Food Memories:</b> This is a staple in our house, hot or cold. One of the "comfort foods". In a rush this year over what to bring to a pot luck New Years Eve dance I made the cold salad version of this. I have never had so many compliments over a dish, and never had so many frustrated people complain over the lack of precision in a recipe.</span></span><br><br><span style="font-family:Arial;"><span style="font-size:large;">The base is the ginger/garlic/onions. I love ginger so I put as much in as I can. The rest is up to you and whatever you have in your fridge.</span></span>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts