Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Hard to say. I don't see U.S. bases being accepted in most of the middle east, even Iraq. Most Iraqis appreciate being rid of Saddam, but the road over the last few years has been so rough that I don't see them wanting to allow large, permanent, U.S. bases. The first Gulf War is still fresh in the minds of the Kuwaitis, based on what I saw, but the Iraq war has stretched their patience. So who knows what's going to happen there.<br><br>
The wild card, I think, is Iran. If the Iraqis see Iran as a large enough threat, it could sway them towards wanting U.S. bases. In which case it benefits us both to keep bases there.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I think what will happen is we maintain a small presence that builds over time. Mostly because at the very least, it would provide jobs to the Iraqis.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Germany is a lot closer to the shit holes that we're fighting in - not a half bad place to stage<br><br>
Also one bay the ruski bear may need kicked in the balls again - or maybe not I'm sure the EU would be able to handle a hostile invasion on their own

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
This is becoming an issue again. However, it's much more complex than before, because Germany is really not interested in getting caught in the middle like last time. A big part of that is because Germany is very reliant on Russia for natural gas. So, Germany is not very into the whole NATO thing anymore, and is making it quite clear that it will not be involved in anything that goes against Russian interests.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I've got it.<br><br>
Outsource the military!<br><br>
I'm sure the Chinese would be more than willing to take on US Security.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
German politicians are campaigning for US bases to stay for economic rather than military reasons.<br><br>
But Europeans are skeptical about the proposed US missile defense system. In a poll, 54% of Brits thought it would make Europe less safe. Maybe that's something that can be cut.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Exactly. The money is important to their economies.<br><br>
I have mixed thoughts on the whole MDS thing. It sounds too...."Fortress America" to me.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Maybe the fact that all the countries that are potentially hostile to us (enemies seems too strong a word right now,) seem to hate the idea of us having the missle defense system, is an indication that we should go forward with it. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I read in the NYT today the Obama would scrap MDS plans if Russia would join us in whatever we want to do with Iran. If it's so important...<br><br>
My thinking is the purpose of the MDS is to protect Europe. I think, if they want it they should pay for it. They have enough money, why are we buying it for them. Shouldn't we be protecting Alaska or something?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts