Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,<br><br>
I have been running for about 2 years and have completed several half and full marathons as well as several shorter events.<br><br>
I read once that changing your running surface is a good idea as it helps your body adjust to different stresses and different muscles are used when running on different types of surfaces (i.e. trails).<br><br>
Since my choices are pretty limited where I live, I usually run on the asphalt road and concrete sidewalk. I do try to run on some dirt roads while out running and there are some areas where I will run on rocks (landscaping gravel) and even some grass areas. I have not had any problems with any aches or pains, nor have I had any ankle issues at all. I am wondering if my mixing up my running (100yards asphalt, 100y grass, etc) is a good idea once in awhile or not.<br><br>
I also play a game when I am running on the road next to a sidewalk. I'll take a few steps on the road and then with a regular running step, jump up on the sidewalk for a few steps and back down. I realize that the extra 6-8 inches jump is a bit more work and the jump down is going to put a bit more stress on my body, but I feel like doing this (even when tired) for awhile on a regular basis will help strengthen me a bit more than regular running.<br><br>
So, are these "games" good for me or am I risking injury?<br><br>
Thanks

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I think changing up the surfaces is a good idea.<br><br>
I think the games are probably fine. The added stress of coming down 6-8 inches is not that different than running down hill. We risk injury all the time. We can't avoid all stresses and still be active.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I'm going with great idea. Is it risky to jump on and off a curb? maybe. But the benefits of strengthening and range of motion will hold off injuries in the long run.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts