Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
i have not used it for cholesterol, but have used flax oil in smoothies. I have had flax in baked good and it tasted fine.<br><br>
what about garlic?

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
my mum uses flax seed to regulate cholesterol levels. she crushes the seeds and adds them to her oatmeal. acc. to her, the seeds are almost unnoticeable. she used to take spoonfuls of the oil, but found she could no longer stomach that taste.<br><br>
(current research is undecided about garlic and cholesterol levels; i was reading something about it a number of months ago - i'll see if i can find an article)

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,<br><br>
The research I have seen seems to indicate it can help. I just need to get to the healthfood store to buy some and try it in on almost nightly salad.

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
I was in a Whole Foods where they were demonstrating the ground flax and the oils. Some suggestions were to add oils to homemade salad dressing, smoothies, yogurt and to sprinkle ground flax on oatmeal, cereal, yogurt or add it to baked recipes. There were more, but I can't remember. I've bought oatmeal with flax added at WF and Target, and it's very tasty.<br><br>
I have good cholesterol levels, but have been thinking of adding more flax as a preventive measure.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
I use it but not for cholesterol per se. Omega fatty acids are supposed to be heart healthy. Anyway I buy the seeds (Bob's Red Mill in any good grocery or health food store) and grind two tablespoons in a coffee mill and put it in oatmeal or cereal. Tastes just fine to me. The oil I will ONLY buy Barlean's w/lignans and it has to be in a fridge when I buy it because if it is rancid it tastes like paint thinner. I like to taste, use in salads and smoothies. DO NOT COOK with it, destroys the nutrients. I have heard that you can't digest the seeds unless they are ground (not sure of the validity of that)<br><br>
Barb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts