Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fire Stations 16 & 19 in the Virginia Highlands section of Midtown Atlanta sponsor a 5k race each year to raise money for scholarships for Grady High School and Washington High Schools. This year the race was at 8:30 today (10/14) beginning on Los Angeles Avenue right beside fire station 19.<br><br>
The course goes through the Virginia Highlands neighborhood and is 1/2 up and down and 1/2 reasonably flat, probably moderately difficult overall. Temps were in the low 60's, under sunny skies. There were 130 to 140 runners overall, which is the largest turnout so far in the 3 year history of this race. Race organizers were very pleased.<br><br>
As for the race itself I was pretty steady at just over 8 minutes/mile. No one passed me from around the 1.5 mile mark. From mile 2 all the way to the finish I could hear someone right behind me. I was able to put distance between us up each hill but I could still hear his footsteps. When I reached the final turn to the finish line I sped up just a little to make sure he wouldn't pass me in the final 50 yards. The guy thanked me for pacing him when we finished. He said he knew he couldn't pass me but he liked my pace and was just trying to keep up. I told him thanks also, as his footsteps kept me moving forward and not slowing down any.<br><br>
Final stats: 30 out of 130 runners.<br>
3rd pace finish in 50-54 age group (very nice plaque by the fire stations)<br>
Time: 24:55

·
Premium Member
6,896 Posts
Wow! Nice race. Congrats ob the plaque.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts