Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I saw this recipe that started with cutting an eggplant in half longways, brushing the surface with olive oil, and baking it.<br><br>
And I bought an eggplant. It's lovely, but I wish I could remember what the recipe was about.<br><br>
I can't find the recipe, and I can't remember where it was going.<br><br>
I think the softened baked eggplant was scooped out and mixed with other stuff and used to top pasta. But I'm not sure.<br><br><br><br>
Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
Here's one I like, you can probably skip the step that toasts the breadcrumbs in butter and make it vegan. I usually use the dried kind anyway. Also, if you google stuffed eggplant + vegetarian there are a bunch that come up. Most of the veg ones I've seen can be easily made vegan too. You're probably better than I am at making the substitutions, though.<br><br><br>
Vegetarian stuffed eggplant.<br><br>
2 Large eggplant<br>
2 small zuchinni<br>
1.75C mushrooms<br>
1/2 red bell pepper<br>
16 oz can diced tomatoes<br>
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped<br>
1 large scallion<br>
3 stalks celery<br>
1/2 yellow onion<br>
2 cloves garlic, minced<br>
1 cup breadcrumbs<br>
2T butter<br>
4T olive oil<br><br>
Chop all vegetables into small bite sized pieces. Mince garlic,parsley, scallion and slice onion thinly.<br><br>
Remove green end of eggplant and slice lengthwise. Cut into boats, leaving an edge all around to hold filling. salt eggplant and set aside for 20 minutes, then rinse and pat dry. Chop inner part into bite sized pieces, and lightly brush eggplant shells with olive oil, place in baking dish and bake shells at 350 for however long it takes you to make the filling.<br><br>
Sautee garlic, scallion, celery and onion in 3T olive oil. Add zuchinni, parsley, and red pepper, toss lightly in pan for a few minutes until they start to cook. Splash a little sherry or wine if desired into panand toss thoroughly. After liquid cooks off, add mushrooms and tomatoes until mixed. Then add tomato paste, stir thoroughly. Lower heat, Cover and simmer 7-10 minutes.<br><br>
While it simmers, toast bread crumbs in a pan with butter, stirring until butter is melted and mixed with the crumbs. Remove from heat.<br><br>
Remove lid, stir one last time. Remove eggplant from oven, spoon filling into shells. Top with breadcrumbs and return to oven, baking 20-30 minutes at 350 until bread crumbs are golden brown.

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
I found this site too, don't know if you've seen it. Some of these are labeled vegan. Looks like it's a whole low fat veggie site!<br><br><a href="http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/stuffed-veg/" target="_blank">http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/stuffed-veg/</a>

·
Premium Member
9,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, that sounds good!<br><br>
I found the recipe when I was browsing about 5 vegan sites at the same time.<br><br>
Now that I think a bit harder, I think that roasting the eggplant halves was the first step to making a pizza with eggplant topping.<br><br>
I'll keep looking, and if I don't find it, there are lots of excellent ways to prepare eggplant. Yum!

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
this site might come in handy if you're an eggplant lover (like me)<br><a href="http://www.aubergines.org/recipes.php" target="_blank">http://www.aubergines.org/recipes.php</a>

·
Premium Member
9,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet site!<br><br>
I just found this tempting recipe at <a href="http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=15428.0" target="_blank">http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=15428.0</a><br><br><b>Tian aux Aborigines</b> (eggplant)<br><br>
Ingredients (use vegan versions):<br><br>
1/2 a big eggplant<br>
2 zucchinis (green or yellow)<br>
1/2 of one big onion<br>
2 red peppers, grilled and skinned<br>
olive oil ( a few tablespoons)<br>
garlic to taste<br>
Herbes de Province<br>
a small can of tomatoes<br><br>
Directions:<br><br>
Slice the vegetables, the shape you like them. The rest of the recipe is quite easy.<br><br>
Just place them in a pie plate on top of one another. Put the eggplant first, because it needs to absorbs the liquid of the other veggies.<br><br>
Drizzle a little olive oil between each layer, the herbs and add a little garlic too.<br><br>
On top of everything, add the canned tomatoes.<br><br>
Put all this in the oven for about 30 minutes or so at 350 degree.<br><br>
Yumm!<br><br>
Serves: 2<br><br>
Preparation time: 45 minutes

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
Here is the recipe. It is called "East West Eggplant Stew" from the Bold Vegetarian book.<br><br>
2 tbs EVOO<br>
1 c finely chopped onion<br>
3-5 large garlic cloves, minced<br>
1 tbs ground cumin<br>
1/2 tsp ground tumeric (i used curry powder and it was fine)<br>
1.5 pounds Japanese eggplant or 1 medium sized regular eggplant, cut into 1 inch cubes<br>
2 Roma (plum) tomatoes, unpeeled, seeded and coarsely chopped<br>
1 lg green bell pepper, coarsely chopped<br>
one 16 oz can of tom sauce<br>
2 tbs fresh basil chopped, or 2 tsp dried<br>
1 teaspoon tamarind concerntrate (never able to find this, omitted)<br>
2 tsp sugar<br>
salt to taste<br>
chopped cilantro to garnish<br><br>
1. in hot oil in lg saucepan, sautee onion until richly brown, 8-10min. Add garlic, cumin, tumeric and stir until evenly distributed in oil. Add eggplant, tom, green pepper, tom sauce. Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer covered for 20-30 mins or until the eggplant is almost tender. during this period, uncover occasionally and stir, add a little water if sticking to bottom.<br>
2. add basil ,tamarind, sugar, salt. Simmer covered 10 more mins. let stand a few minutes before serving to help develop flavor. Served garnished with cilantro.<br><br>
Serving suggestions:<br>
i usually serve over rice or couscous

·
Premium Member
9,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That ALSO sounds good! Thank you!<br><br>
I will need to expand my spice collection soon.

·
Registered
21,889 Posts
My SO occasionally makes something like eggplant parmesean (am I spelling that right?) Basically this way.<br><br>
Slice eggplant lengthwise and sprinkle both sides of the slices with salt. Let sit for one hour. Rinse off with water.<br><br>
Brush olive oil on a cookie sheet, or use a silicone baking mat, and place the eggplant slices on the sheet.<br><br>
Top each slice with marinara sauce and sprinkle with parmesean. Bake. I think at 350 for 15 minutes, but you'd probably better check well before that time is up, because I don't exactly remember it. It doesn't take long except for the sitting with salt on them, and that's just to extract some of the juice. I guess it can be bitter at times. The end result is a nice, soft slice of eggplant with tasty, relatively low fat (depending on how much and what kind of cheese) dish. He hasn't made it in quite a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts