Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

December 50 Plus Training and Racing

3473 Views 113 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Spareribs
<p>Dec. 1</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Light snow but the paths were clear.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>50 minute warmup, 5 times 28 to 30 second uphill sprint with 90 sec. jog</p>
<p>recovery, same distance that I ran in 35 seconds last week, 5 min. warmdown.</p>
1 - 10 of 114 Posts
<p>Took yesterday off from running and worked packet pickup all day at the Dallas White Rock Marathon Expo with the Saint.  Today I ran 3.5 miles and did a good flex workout. Tomorrow the whole family will run the 5-person Relay at White Rock.  We are all very excited about this. I am going to run Leg Two, about 5 miles, then try to run as many more miles as I can after I hand off the chip to Prime Rib.  We are giving the anchor leg to Spare Tire even though he is not real fast, so that he can experience the finish (and of course want to do it again next year!)  Spareribs</p>
<p>I've had a miserable week.  Sunday was wonderful.  The Rib Cage did the White Rock marathon relay and we ran 3:41, top ten percent, so that went okay. I did a few extra miles after my leg to give me 12 or so for the day.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Then I flew out that night for three days in Pittsburgh and Grand Rapids, MI and didn't run at all as my back continued to hurt.  Got home Wednesday just before midnight, jogged a bit Thursday morning, ran 3.3 yesterday and 2.2 today.  It seems as if the post-race stretching is what aggravates it so I am going to give it a week of no flex or core work.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Laura, hope all is okay with you.  Heme, I had the same knee issues with the elliptical and don't use it any more.  Spareribs</p>
<p>Simon, our relay had 5 legs, and it went as follows: My wife (the Saint) started and did 5 miles or so. I did the second leg of about 5 miles as it was all uphill and I run the most so they gave it to me.  I handed off to Prime Rib who is 22 and runs sub-7's, so he got the longest leg at 6.5 miles, and then Riblet, my 14-year old did leg 4.  Then he handed off to SpareTire, my 38 year old, who is our slowest.  We wanted him to have the thrill of crossing the finish line as he is not a very experienced runner.  He now wants to do it next year. Our time was 3:41 and it was a lot of fun!  Thanks for asking.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>After a poor week of sore back and lots of travel, I did a very cold and windy 14 yesterday and a slow 4.4 today. I'm pretty much done with work for the year so I expect to run a lot till year end.  Spareribs</p>
See less See more
<p>A little over 7 miles this morning with Prime Rib, then a flex workout at the Y.  He is so much faster than I am that every mile or so he stops and does 40 pushups, then catches back up to me.  My back muscle seems to be healing up and I'm looking forward to doing things like lunges again.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>SS, I didn't get to tell you congrats on that AG win.  Nice going.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We're going bowling this afternoon!  Spareribs</p>
<p>Ran 44.5 miles last week.  Sunday (yesterday) started my new week and I kicked it off with a pretty easy 20-miler, but today my legs were a bit stiff.  I went out and ran one mile and said "That's enough!"  Stretched at the Y and called it a day.  Tomorrow I should be good to go.  Spareribs</p>
<p>Since my recovery run on Monday I did 4.4 yesterday and 11 today.  Feeling fresher now.  Should get 50 in this week.  Spareribs</p>
<p>Welcome back Bob!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>7 miles today in the freezing rain, but I need just 3.2 tomorrow for my first 50 mile week since September.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Merry Christmas all.   Spareribs</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And Ek, you would be surprised at the time lost on a short track with the constant turns vs. running the same distance in a fairly straight line.  You always get hosed on the times.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So 50 miles for me last week and probably the same this week.  I did 13 with 4 of them at fast but untimed pace on Sunday, recovered with 3+ yesterday and did 4.5 easy today.  Tomorrow is 11.  My plan is also to run 10 on Saturday and then do 20 on Sunday for a 30 mile weekend, my first since '04.  Spareribs</p>
<p>Well, I got in 11.5 today although it was warm and kind of muggy.  3+ tomorrow and 4+ on Friday before heading into my big weekend.  Spareribs</p>
<p>Not so consistent but thank you Simon.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Ilene, I am inclined to agree with you that when conditions are tough and you push on through them it gives you a very confident feeling that you can deal with adversity when it comes up.  You tend to say to yourself, "Well,I've faced worse than this," and off you go.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>4.3 today in order to have 40 miles in before my ten-miler tomorrow.  That will give me another 50 mile week and tee up Sunday's LR.  Spareribs</p>
1 - 10 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.