Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently switched to Cytomax from Heed for that 3-6 hr run/bike range. Seems better so far. While riding/running, I could handle the heed until about 4 hours or so and then couldn't stand the taste. The smell of it afterwards made me nauseous. I switched to Cytomax and am having better results. For those who use it, what are your favorite flavors? I started with Tropical fruit but haven't tried the others and want to order one more container so I can choose by mood.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
It's interesting that I don't remember ever seeing Cytomax getting used by runners. I think this may be the result of how the companies market: ultra aid stations primarily serve Heed, Gu20, Nuun, and a few others. Marathons tend to serve other stuff but I don't ever remember Cytomax there either.<br><br>
The trail runners I know who carry their own stuff tend to go with Perpetuem or Karl King products. Some could be using Cytomax, I just don't know them.<br><br>
One little caution about all of this, be careful of the substitution you're making (don't know if this applies to Cytomax.) I've often used perpetuem after 5-6 hours - it goes down well and really feels/tastes good in ultras, despite tasting like dishwater normally. It makes my tummy feel wonderful.<br><br>
But if I put it in one of my bottles, it's going in place of something else. I ran a nasty 100K trail race yesterday and the stretch after I drank the perpetuem was my low point. I'm starting to suspect that it really changed the fuel/sodium/fluids mix for that stretch and contributed to the low point a little later. I find I can put whatever electrolyte drink they're serving into my bottles, make minor adjustments to sodium and food by feel, and it really doesn't matter if the drink is Heed, Gu20, Gatorade. Perpetuem may be the exception - I have no clue if this applies to Cytomax. My realization is that settling your stomach and getting it working is important, but you also need the right mix of stuff in there.

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
after trying a lot of different things i have resorted to water, good old water, with electrolyte tabs, clif blocks, and ensure/soy milk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts