1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Veloute laitue<br>
(Cream of lettuce soup)<br>
6 servings<br><br>
3 heads Boston lettuce (Boston is a sweet lettuce. Don't use a very bitter lettuce)<br>
2 tbls butter<br>
1 1/2 tsp salt<br>
Freshly ground black pepper<br>
4 cups water<br>
1/2 cup heavy cream (you could use fat free Half & Half)<br>
juice of 1/2 lemon<br>
6 thick slices French or Italian bread, toasted<br><br>
Wash the lettuce, remove the cores and quarter the heads. Cook in boiling, lightly salted water for 10 minutes. Drain and chop the lettuce roughly.<br><br>
Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the lettuce, cover with a circle of wax paper and cook slowly for 5 minutes. Remove the paper and sprinkle lettuce with the salt and peper; add the water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour.<br><br>
Puree the soup in a blender or force through a sieve.<br><br>
Return it to the pan, add the cream and lemon juice, and heat thoroughly before serving. Float a round of toasted bread in each bowl. You may also chill the soup for several hours and serve it cold.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
So, does it actually have lettuce flavor? It's such a delicate flavor, that I imagine just eating a bowl of hot cream.<br><br>
Where does this recipe originate?

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has a very subtle flavor, like drinking springtime. You know when you haven't had fresh veggies for too long, and when you eat them your body just says "thank you"? This soup gives that feeling. And the cream won't overpower. I wouldn't use a lettuce too bitter (e.g., escarole, endive) nor too bland (iceberg) but something in between. Boston/Bibb is ideal; I can see green leaf working, too. Maybe romaine would be ok?<br><br>
I think the soup's origin is French, though not certain. The first time I had this soup, it was made by a friend of my mother, visiting from Brussels. We had it with some really good French bread and ate the entire pot. This recipe comes from my MIL, who got it from a French friend and gave it to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts