Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>a girl I ran against/with a few years back in a summer running series showed up as a friend of a friend on FB recently ... I recognized her name and searched race results to see if she was the person  I thought she was ... she is ... small world, right?  :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>turns out she's still kicking some booty in running and has even moved up to 50k's/ultras and placed 3rd in a national 50K competition  ... WOWZERS ...</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>but ... she's majorly ensnared in an eating disorder and it's sad to see, even for the 2 days I've been witness to it   :-(   *sigh*</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>she's aware she has this problem and has had treatment in the past and is planning to get help again (this week) but is struggling with keeping the appointed therapy sessions ...</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>witnessing this as a complete bystander is sad and captivating .... how can somebody in such bad shape still perform so well?  And ... is this the 'norm' for some (maybe many) high performers in sports enhanced by less luggage?  how can a body so deprived of essential nutrients do so well ... and how much better could be done if properly nurished?</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>so sad ....</p>

·
Registered
347 Posts
<p>Yes, sad to say it is one of those still hidden "issues" -- not restricted to females.  Male distance runners get into major diet problems fighting the "get down to running weight, but maintain nutrition to compete" syndrome.  Actually it continues for years in all walks of life in this country.  The obesity problem gets the publicity because it is visible.  The anorexic, bulimic, and so forth get passed over as being fashionably thin.</p>

·
Registered
14,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>as a classic mesomorph playing sports filled with ectomorphs I had a lot of 'issues' esp when I was younger  ... I flirted with ED and sometimes went days w/o eating and thought it was 'cool' to still be able to kick butt in basketball or whatever when I hadn't eaten in days ... I was a delusional jackass, really ...  till one of my closest elementary school friends actually got benched her junior year and sent into treatment for anorexia ... I stopped playing that game and never allowed myself to fall into it even when tempted ... I think some personalities (like mine)  are drawn into such practices as a form or self-discipline/competition and wanting to excel at all goals makes it very dangerous ... I still think of doing stupid things like this almost daily but haven't in over 25 years  ... probably why I feel for the girl I reconnected with and hope she can stop doing this to herself ...</p>

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Sporti,<br><br>
I think I know the girl you are talking about. She was a friend of mine on FB but I ended up defending her because of all the drama. It is so sad. She is extremely talented and a wreck at the same time. I hope she carries through with treatment, and if she does, watch out ultra world! Once she gets to a healthy weight and gains the power that goes with it, she will be unstoppable.<br><br>
Like a lot of us, I've struggled with my body image too. In my 20's I tipped the scales at 112 and since I am 5'7" that was pretty thin. I never felt thin enough, though. Now I try to appreciate the strength and endurance that comes with eating well and not obsessing with the scale.

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
<p>I have a friend who is an accomplished runner and very anorexic. It is a male and hard to see.</p>

·
Registered
200 Posts
<p>i know who you are talking about too. it is amazing that she is physically capable of being able to run ultras, and so well. why, mentally, can she? well, it takes an enormous amount of willpower, pain tolerance and ignoring your body's cues to starve yourself. all of those things are useful for blocking out the inevitable pain of running an ultra, fast. i hope she gets help</p>

·
Registered
14,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<p>she posted that she kept her phone session yesterday  ... hopefully she can turn things around ...</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.