Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, merigayle alerted me to the existence of congee/jook as a breakfast food. I wasn't feeling hardcore enough to try the savory recipes I found, but I made this overnight, and it's very good.<br><br>
I did not buy the cardamom, since the jar was $11! (A friend has told me to try to buy it at an Indian grocery here, because they sell smaller amounts of the expensive spices.) I also left out the lecithin.<br><br>
I added some nutmeg and pumpkin pie spice, and some flaxseed meal. This makes an awesome breakfast porridge, like supercharged oatmeal. And very very easy.<br><br>
from <a href="http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/recipe?id.9934" target="_blank">http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/recipe?id.9934</a>, also seen on multiple sites online.<br><br><b>Michael's Crockpot Congee</b><br>
Prep: 5 min, Cook: 8:00.<br><br>
* 1/2 cup barley<br>
* 1/4 cup wild rice, or brown rice<br>
* 1/4 cup quinoa<br>
* 4-1/4 cups water, or divide amount using half water and half soy milk<br>
* 1/4 tsp. salt<br>
* 2 tsp. lecithin<br>
* 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon<br>
* 1/8 tsp. ground cardamom<br>
* 1/8 tsp. ground ginger<br><br>
Combine all ingredients in a crockpot (slow cooker). If desired, add sugar, molasses, honey, maple syrup, or other sweetener to taste. Cook on low for 8 hours.<br><br>
Options: For a different consistency, adjust proportions of grains to water. You can substitute a variety of grains in this recipe: millet, oat groats, spelt, amaranth, rye, or wheat berries. You can also add spices as desired: nutmeg, cloves, allspice, or bay leaf. Or add small pieces of fruits as desired: dried cherries, raisins, coconut, jujube, or flax seeds. After cooking, you can add chopped walnuts, almonds, or pumpkin seeds.<br><br>
Per serving: calories 182, fat 3.3g, 16% calories from fat, cholesterol 0mg, protein 5.4g, carbohydrates 34.5g, fiber 5.3g, sugar 0.8g, sodium 50mg, diet points 3.3.<br><br>
Dietary Exchanges: Milk: 0.0, Vegetable: 0.0, Fruit: 0.0, Bread: 2.1, Lean meat: 0.0, Fat: 0.4, Sugar: 0.0, Very lean meat protein: 0.0

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
YUM!!! I'm going to put a pot of this in tonight when I go to bed. I've made similar multi-grain type cereals and the possibilities are endless if you add fruit or chopped nuts. I like the idea of adding flaxmeal or even some protein power to up the protein content!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts