Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>For those of you who commute to work, especially if dealing with rain/cold.....</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Do you have outer gear that you recommend?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've got plenty of cold-only stuff, but if there's rain in the forecast, I don't have stuff.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm making a goal of riding in to work 2 or 3 days a week this year, but would need to be able to have something to wear @ work.</p>
<p>I figure I can drive clothes in on Mondays (I teach, so wouldn't be riding those days), and then carrying them home on Fridays.</p>

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
<p>If it's cold, I wear a wind-breaker (safety green).  Otherwise, I just wear a good base layer and get wet.  Doesn't matter what you wear, you're not going to stay dry, so just do what it takes to stay warm.  Good leg warmers, a good tight undershirt (ala UnderArmour), good arm warmers, good socks, a skull cap under your helmet, good gloves.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Oftentimes I'll start with heavy gloves and a face mask, then as I warm up start removing things like the face mask and skull cap, then replace the heavy gloves with lighter ones.  By the end of the ride, the pockets of my wind-breaker are often stuffed with wet clothing.  But I'm warm.</p>

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
<p>As far as the work clothes, either bring them to work the day before or get develop an absolutely waterproof carrying system.  Something like big zip-lock bags (double) inside a backpack.</p>

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>Sounds good....</p>
<p>Luckily, we don't have too many awful days in the cold here.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It's a far bigger problem dealing with the dark, but I've got plenty of lights to "trim" myself and the bike with.  I figure it's better to be a geek, lit up like a Christmas tree, than it is to be "squeeshed" on the road.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.