Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Anyone know how federal work study works at college level?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My daughter was awarded $1800 in federal work study for college. That comes out to about 240 hours of work over school year. Financial Aid dept then tells her that there isnt enough jobs to go around on campus. AThere are jobs for about 1 in 5 kids who are awarded federal work study.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I believe that the school got the $1800 from the govt then in turn pays the student when and if they get work. Seems to me like a sweet deal for the school - get federal work study money from the govt and not have jobs for the kids so they dont have to disperse the money.  I;m not sure this is how it works, but that is what I am seem to be discovering.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyone know for certain?</p>

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
<p>Here at Ohio State, students can also use Federal Work Study awards for certain types of off-campus jobs.  Have her see if that is an option at her school.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I don't work in financial aid, so I cannot say for sure, but my impression is that the federal government has a vested interest in the money going where it is supposed to.  There isn't enough $$ to go around, so there are all sorts of rules that students and universities must abide by in order for the $ to come from the government at all.  I would think that if your daughter's college cannot prove that they provided her with a job (via the regular employment paperwork she'd need to file), then the university would not get the money at all.</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.