Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do every race. How do you decide which race to do? My work dictates a lot in that i cannot travel too far and i cannot take too many Saturdays off. I tried to ask my coach, but she wanted me to wait a week or so before we settled a schedule.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I don't really have a method as to which races I run. It kind of depends which one(s) strike my fancy.<br><br>
I rarely run big races - NYC, Chicago, Marine Corps, Peachtree Road Race (10k) - too many people and hassles.<br><br>
Oklahoma City - I run every year because I have family there, some of whom helped in the rescue efforts of the Murrah Building bombing. All the funds from the race go to the Memorial. Kind of a spiritual pilgrimage for me.<br><br>
As for the 5 and 10k races just depends where I'm at in my training or if I hear something interesting about the race from one of the local running mags.<br><br>
As for other half marathons and longer distances just depends what strikes me as different or interesting about the race to make me signup. Boston's Run to Remember 1/2 marathon, for example, will be on my short list next year. Simply because the course looks like a nice view of historic Boston. The Richmond Marathon this November I chose because it goes down Monument Avenue and appears to showcase Richmond rather well. The Mississippi 50k Trail Run interested me when I read an article on why it was cancelled for 2006 and the organizers even returned the race entrants active.com fees.<br><br>
But I don't really have any specific method. In May I'll be doing the Twisted Ankle 1/2 marathon trail run. I have nothing scheduled between then and the Richmond Marathon in November. I'll just play it by ear.

·
Registered
25,018 Posts
Mine is based almost entirely on how much money is left in my budget for random fun stuff, and whether I'm working.<br>
I sign up for most races day of... so they need race-day registration.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I always gravitate to races where I have friends running.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I start with Key races - These are based upon peaking a fitness level - I set 3 a year: 2 are marathons and 1 a 10K.<br><br>
Next I set my traing races - These fit good into the "Key race" schedule to test fitness level - I do not taper for these (4-5 a year) These I want to be within 1 hour drive - the course is not as important and its great if they are a "fun Race"<br><br>
Next are fun races - These are the ones that I have done that I just like to do - THey could be fast courses, but usually not - They can be close or far away. These fit if they fit, no taper - just go race and enjoy. (5-8 a year)<br><br>
I would like to race at least once a month, but I miss a month or 2 in Dec-Feb) - Not many races in WI<br><br>
In the off-season - After Fall marathon before Mid-Febraury - I can be spnotaneous and decide to to a race mid-week for the weekend.<br><br>
I do not like to race 2 weekends in a row. This is just the way I do it.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
I really like to not repeat many races. I like "new."<br><br>
I'll do the bigger hometown ones just because logistically they are easy. Right now I need to do an Austin and San Antonio race to complete the big cities of Texas. I normally have one or two goal races for the year and everything else has to fit in and work in conjunction with those.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts