·
Registered
9,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background:<br>
started running Feb. of 2007<br>
injured several times<br>
twice the injuries have stopped my marathon training<br>
Currently I'm not running just x-training before starting my training for Cleveland in May.<br>
I have 3 kids- almost 5, 2.5, and 16 months.<br>
My husband works 2 jobs so my weekend time is limited.<br>
I was up to 20 miles a week when I got hurt.<br><br><br><br><br>
I need to decide if I should just do the HM or go for the Marathon. I'm training with TnT. I told people I was doing the marathon. I want to do the marathon. IDK if my body and family can handle the marathon.<br><br>
Give me thoughts and guidance.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
(((((BG))))--you know I feel your pain, frustration, and motivation--I am not sure on the answer---I guess, I would say, try and train for the M--you want it--and you can always drop to the HM if it gets too much?

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Running since Feb 2007 and injured twice tells me you need to ramp up more gently. HM at the longest - or pick a shorter race and try to build some consistency before something longer.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
I agree with Chris.<br><br>
You need to do this for yourself, not what other people think. Do the Half then the Full. Just because you do a Half first doesn't mean you aren't going to do a full.

·
Registered
9,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<br>
I injured my knee the first 2 weeks upping it too much. Then I got PF in both feet during the last M training.<br><br>
I have like 5 5ks, 1 10k, and a relay leg under my racing belt. I'm leaning towards the HM but in my heart I wanna do a M.

·
Registered
19,883 Posts
I think you already know the answer.<br><br>
Do the Half.<br><br>
If you try for the full, you might get injured again (because your body is not ready) and end up running neither of them. I don't think you want that.<br><br>
When in doubt... don't.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
not to just jump on the band wagon, but forgo the full for awhile. You are young, and will have more time to devote to yourself in the future. Get consistent and enjoy what running you are able to do. Most women with 3 kids would just say "I have no time", so make sure to give yourself credit that half marathon is quite an endeavor. The marathon will always be there when you are injury-free and "mommy.i.need.you.all.the.time"-free.

·
Registered
22,241 Posts
Do the half. It is a much more realistic distance considering your background right now. It is still an accomplishment and can be fun. I highly doubt that with your history of injuries ramping up to a marathon in that period of time would be fun.<br><br>
Plus keep in mind that marathon training (depending on your speed) could take up quite a bit of time with 4-5 hour training runs on the weekends (as opposed to 2 hours for a half). Only you can decide if you have that kind of time.<br><br>
You can always do a marathon next.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
even with a couple years of running, a solid base (say 25-30 mpw) for 6+ months and a full 18 week training program, running a marathon is still really tough<br><br>
my $.02 - do the half (and then a few more) before you move on to 26.2<br><br>
no shame in raising TNT $ and running a half

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
<b>Bikegirl</b> I would have to agree with <b>PC</b> and everybody else<b>.</b> Do the half.<br><br>
I went from the couch to training for a marathon with TnT in August of 05. I developed ITBS during training for the marathon, took the last month of training off, got a cortisone shot and off I went to run the full. The ITBS reared its ugly head at the halfway point of the full and I walked from mile 15 on. I went through 3 months of physical therapy after completing the full.<br><br>
Im not saying that is what you will go through nor am I trying to scare you. Just letting you know what I went through. If you are worried about those who have donated to you and what they might think if you change from the full to the half, contact them and explain the situation. Im sure they would much rather see you run the half safely then possibly wind up hurt trying to run the full.<br><br>
Just my .02 on the situation

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I totally feel where you're coming from. I have two small kids and a spouse who works too much, too. I say go for the half.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts