Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to really cut down on my carb and sugar intake in order to lose some weight and lower my cholesterol. Will this have any effect on my running? Any advice or opinions?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
pegruns, as a runner, I'm not sure you want to cut down on (complex) carbs. You need them for energy! This <a href="http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/162.shtml" target="_blank">article</a> explains it well.<br><br>
I believe lowering cholesterol has more to do with cutting saturated fat. You're exercising; that helps. Some people have high cholesterol no matter what they do to reduce it and may need medication.<br><br>
Some dietary tips on reducing cholesterol <a href="http://nhlbisupport.com/chd1/S2Tipsheets/foodgroup.htm" target="_blank">here</a>.

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
I would look at the type of carbs you are eating and the types of sugars you are eating. Try to eliminate the refined products from your diet. Cutting carbs and sugar is going to have little effect on your cholesterol, as that is not where the main sources of cholesterol come from, they come more from saturated fats and mostly animal products.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you very much for your advice. After today's 15k I definitely need more carbs.....

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
How much are you running? If it's a 30-45 minute run ~3 x a week you will probably be OK on a lower carb eating plan. If you are marathon training or have some goal races, you might experience fatigue.<br><br>
There's variation in how individual body's use and process fuel. I train for marathons and usually average 50% or slightly less calories from carbs. For other distance runners, that's low.<br><br>
Eating enough unsaturated fats and soluble fiber (from complex carbs), and limiting saturated and trans fats, often prove to be a more effective and specific dietary intervention for cholesterol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts