Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie and I can't decide which race to enter. I volunteered at an all-woman tri last summer and had my heart set on entering summer, but it looked like I was going to have a major schedule conflict.<br><br>
So, I did my research and picked out another race in mid-June. Now, it seems like there won't be a schedule conflict and the original race is still accepting entries. I can't decide what to enter! Don't say both -- I only want to enter one because I'm a total newbie. I trained for my first half-marathon last fall, but got injured and deferred to this October.<br><br>
Here are what I see as the positives/negatives for each. Let me know if you think there's deciding factor that I haven't thought of...<br><br>
#1-mid-June. Smaller race, shorter distances, and simpler with a pool swim. Early summer before travel committments. Negatives: up & down hills, less time to prepare.<br><br>
#2-late August. All woman; 40% first-timers. More time to prepare. Held at local park with many opportunities to go on run/bike routes. Negatives: lake swim, longer distances, concurrently training for Oct. half-marathon.<br><br>
No guarantees that I'll enter anything, but thanks for any help with this little dilemma.<br><br>
.......<br><a href="http://sjbmuse.blogspot.com/" target="_blank">http://sjbmuse.blogspot.com/</a>

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
#1-June 15 distances: 400meter swim - 14mi bike - 5K run<br><br>
#2-Aug. 24 distances: 0.62mi Swim - 17.5mi Bike - 3.4mi Run<br><br>
Half-marathon - Oct. 11<br><br>
Training: swim-approx. 1650 yds x 2/week with swim team; bike-45 min x 2/wk on trainer; run-10 miles/wk.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
August..............more time to train, can train on course, and atmosphere sounds perfect for your first.<br><br>
Plenty of time between that and your half mary as well.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I'd go for the early one. It is a little shorter, and the hills won't be as bad as you think (my first tri was in June with major hills) and you have a TON of time to prepare. Use one of the 12 week plans on Beginnertraithlete.com The men/women thing isn't an issue. Racing with less beginners also isn't an issue (probably better). Everyone is so supportive in this sport. If you do the early one, you may fall in love with triathlon and want to do another one. The August one is so late that you wouldn't have an opportunity to do another one with your HM in Oct. I also like smaller races. Danskin was fun, but it was SO huge (3000 women) when I did it!! It was nice to follow it with a tri with only 300 people.<br><br>
You can train for your HM at the same time as training for a tri. HM training is mostly your long runs. Just increase a mile a week (2 miles every 2 weeks after 10 miles), and you'll be fine. I just ran an awesome HM using Jeff Galloway's plan, and it is pretty much that plus two 40 min. runs a week. He is all about running injury-free. I also did some interval training, but that's because I had a time goal. If you just want to finish, you don't need the intervals. Plus, running those long runs will improve your shorter run at your tri.

·
Registered
25,018 Posts
I would do the earlier one. The distances aren't that different, and then you can really focus on your half. You have plenty of time for good training (imho) before mid-June for the first one.<br><br>
Plus, if something happens at the first one or to the first one you have a chance to get in another and not have to completely call it off

·
Registered
17,497 Posts
I'd do the later one. The distances are very similar, and you'll have more time to train.<br><br>
I trained for a half in Sept/Oct and a tri in early August with success this past summer. In fact, the increased running really served me well.<br><br>
But either way, have fun!!!

·
Registered
11,855 Posts
I'd lean slightly to the second. My first tri was pretty much the same distances as yours (slightly shorter swim/slightly longer run) so I think you'll have no problems there covering the distance. Also, you'll have access to the areas where the tri will be held and it seems to be newbie-friendly.<br><br>
I know the OW part (in a lake as well) kinda' was my big worry, mainly because the swim was my weakest event. Judging from your profile you're a much better swimmer than I am, so if I can get out there and get back to shore, I'm sure you can.<br><br>
I think you can easily ramp out of tri-training into running for seven weeks. I had about the same time frame from my first tri into a HM (a sort of on a whim thing) and had a nice PR for myself. Good luck with whatever you decide!

·
Registered
951 Posts
That's a tough decision. I did my first in August last year and LOVED it so much I scrambled to find another to do in September (not to mention I went out and bought a road bike the week after I did that first one!) I had an incredibly busy schedule with so many commitments and other things (mainly work and tennis) but managed to get in the training and had an absolute blast!<br><br>
It's hard to say which you should do... but just consider doing the first one knowing that if you have a great time you can fit in another! Once you do the race, maintaining the training isn't that big of a deal in my opinion. But.... you have to decide which works better for your schedule. (Personally, I am all over any tri that involves a pool!)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I know you said don't say both but I agree with the peeps that picked option #1 only because you will have so much fun you'll want to sign up for option#2 as soon as you finnish the 1st. That's my fearless prediction!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
You would do fine at both. I think Stu said it best, both.<br><br>
But if you can do only one I would suggest the women only. Every woman I know who has done those has had a great a time.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! I can see everyone is as evenly divided as I am...at least I know that I'm not having one of my decision-making problems. Still thinking about it and everyone raised some good points!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I completely agree with Stu. Do the early one and I guarantee you will wind up doing both!!! If your goal is to finish and have fun, which I think everyone's first tri is sorta about, your training so far is going to be fine for the June race. And doing the August race shouldn't interfere with your HM training. In fact I raced my fasted HM while I was training for a HIM. Whichever race you choose, be prepared for the addiction that will follow!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts